Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Kevin Balmer Collection

Technical talk on signalling matters

Kevin Balmer Collection

Unread postby Andrew G » Fri May 19, 2017 9:38 am

Several years ago Kevin rescued a set of slides taken by a member of the S&T in the Manchester Area - unfortunately the name of the photographer is not known at present.

I have digitised these and Kevin has kindly agreed they can be shared with a wider audience.

The link has been posted in this section as the main focus is on the S&T side of things - although there are some nice views of operating floors as well.

I hope they are of interest to members of the forum.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/llangolle ... 280316994/
Andrew G
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Kevin Balmer Collection

Unread postby Bob Davies » Fri May 19, 2017 10:52 am

Thanks for making these available - they are a wonderful collection.

During my career on the LM Region, I never had much to do with the Manchester Division so many of these boxes are unknown to me and the pictures reveal a fascinating array of unusual equipment. However one place that I did get to know quite well during the introduction of Carlisle PSB was the Kingmoor area so I naturally looked at the photos of that. By the time I got there the Waverley route had shut and Kingmoor Yard was a shadow of its former self so these pictures show me what I missed (and what a place it was).

It is the pictures of Kingmoor signalbox that have got me wondering. I spent a lot of time there and got to know a couple of the signalmen - Willie Jackson and Wille Taylor - quite well as I was always asking their permission to disconnect things temporarily! One of the pictures is an external view of the box and it shows the Waverley route passing over the main line with a couple of modern colour light signals on the high-level line. By my time at Kingmoor the Waverley line was a long siding accessed via a connection at the rear of Kingmoor box and I had assumed that the connection between these lines had originally been on Kingmoor panel but that had it had been taken off when the junction points were made hand operated. The presence of the two modern signals on the Waverley lines also suggests that resignalling took place at some time and the logical moment would have been when Kingmoor was introduced. However the interior shots of the panel do not show any part of the Waverley line so where was it controlled from and how was that junction worked? Was it a later construction when the Waverley line closed and if so who controlled those two signals on the high-level route?

Moderator note - This is unashamed thread drift and I expect that these pictures will produce quite a lot. Please feel free to move this post to Signalling-Historical if you wish.
Bob D
Bob Davies
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Andrew G » Fri May 19, 2017 3:04 pm

Bob Davies wrote:It is the pictures of Kingmoor signalbox that have got me wondering. I spent a lot of time there and got to know a couple of the signalmen - Willie Jackson and Wille Taylor - quite well as I was always asking their permission to disconnect things temporarily! One of the pictures is an external view of the box and it shows the Waverley route passing over the main line with a couple of modern colour light signals on the high-level line. By my time at Kingmoor the Waverley line was a long siding accessed via a connection at the rear of Kingmoor box and I had assumed that the connection between these lines had originally been on Kingmoor panel but that had it had been taken off when the junction points were made hand operated. The presence of the two modern signals on the Waverley lines also suggests that resignalling took place at some time and the logical moment would have been when Kingmoor was introduced. However the interior shots of the panel do not show any part of the Waverley line so where was it controlled from and how was that junction worked? Was it a later construction when the Waverley line closed and if so who controlled those two signals on the high-level route?

I've just had a look at the signalling plan for Carlisle Kingmoor Yard and the Signals you are referring to were controlled by Canal Junction.

Returning to the Yard itself one of the gaps I have been trying to plug is a picture of the Signalling NX panels in the Up and/or Down Towers as to date I have only seen pictures of the Hump panels. Any chance you can assist?
Andrew G
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Bob Davies » Fri May 19, 2017 5:52 pm

Thanks for that information. Was there a junction at that point or was it a later addition when the Waverley line closed as a through route?

I am afraid that I can't help with the Up and Down Tower panels. I never went in to either of these and because Kingmoor and Floriston relay rooms were taken over by Carlisle PSB, there was no need for any changes to (what little remained) in either of the Tower boxes.
Bob D
Bob Davies
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Fri May 19, 2017 5:56 pm

Bob Davies wrote:Thanks for that information. Was there a junction at that point or was it a later addition when the Waverley line closed as a through route?

I think it was put in so that trains from Kingmoor could (rather awkwardly) depart to the Waverley route.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Mad Mac » Fri May 19, 2017 7:02 pm

I have a vague recollection of being involved in some correspondence on this topic a while back. I'll trawl through my old e-mails over the weekend.
Mad Mac
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby JRB » Fri May 19, 2017 9:41 pm

Apologies for not photting U & D Tower panels, but film was expensive when I was interfacing the STC TDs to the new WBS one in Carlisle PSB.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Return to S&T Department