Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Signal Box Telephones

Technical talk on signalling matters

Re: Signal Box Telephones

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Aug 9, 2017 4:04 pm

Ah, but the WR ones were not "block phones" but one-to-one circuit phones mounted on the block shelf. They only had the one button and were just the same as to sidings or signals.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Wed Aug 9, 2017 7:13 pm

Sorry but the single buttons were also used as non discrete omnibus phones,hence the "challenge before ringing" instruction on the case above the button and I have used these as such. Nor were they restricted to block shelves. Here's a link to a nice photo I've found on the net showing a selection of wooden phones at Aller Jc. Four single button D patterns and TWO eight way selectors! Plenty of opportunity for a yap at Aller it seems :D
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-z1dHYy9XmsI/U ... cn+SB6.png
Ashley Hill
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Wed Aug 9, 2017 9:46 pm

Pete2320 wrote:"Block phones" in my experience do not have bells etc of their own, the block bell itself being used to summon the other box, 1-1 or 1-2 being used.

I have been given to understand that such block bell codes were also used unofficially to summon the adjacent box to omnibus phones discreetly if you didn't want everybody on the circuit earwigging, although of course this approach could not guarantee privacy.

The LMS had a block bell code of 3-3-3-3 as an emergency summons to the phone; I think this was used on omnibus circuits as well as block phones.
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:05 am

Mike Hodgson wrote:The LMS had a block bell code of 3-3-3-3 as an emergency summons to the phone; I think this was used on omnibus circuits as well as block phones.

No, that was specifically for "block" phones to indicate priority. The code was still in official use in BR days where I worked on the Midland.

But we are drifiting a long way from the questions that were initially being asked.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to S&T Department