Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Dutch mechanical interlocking: a German-Austrian-British mix

Signalling outside the UK (but including Northern Ireland), past, present and future

Dutch mechanical interlocking: a German-Austrian-British mix

Unread postby hmmueller » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:42 pm

I have just completed a first posting that explains the, in my opinion, quite interesting mechanical frames that were present in the Netherlands in the last century. I immediately recognized the interlocking frames on the "Zud-Limburgse Stoomtrein-Maatschappij" museum steam railway as the Austrian (Siemens) type 3414 - but further study and photos showed more and more British elements in the "interlocking culture" of that country, which I hope to unveil a little in this and a few following blog postings:

Interlocking frames in the Netherlands - a mix of British, German and Austrian practices!

I hope this is interesting for some readers curious about interlocking all over the world!

Best regards
Harald M.
==== Austrian signal boxes and interlockings (German and English), with some looks beyond ====
hmmueller
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Dutch mechanical interlocking: a German-Austrian-British

Unread postby Bob Davies » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:44 pm

Most interesting. Thank you for taking the time to prepare and publish these. I have only had time for a quick look at your pages but I will study them in detail in due course.

Please keep up the postings.
Bob D
Bob Davies
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Dutch mechanical interlocking: a German-Austrian-British

Unread postby JRB » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:56 pm

Not sure about frames but Dutch relay interlockings were largely done with British relays and circuit principles. Their train describer specification was a slightly modified version of the BR one which I helped to write at Carlow St. The Amsterdam Centraal panel scheme (now superseded) was American.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Return to Signalling - overseas