Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Bomaderry (Nowra) - New South Wales

Signalling outside the UK (but including Northern Ireland), past, present and future

Bomaderry (Nowra) - New South Wales

Unread postby LT Box Boy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:39 am

I am doing some research into this location and understand that there is 4 frames here. Can anyone help with any information and if possible photos or direct me to where there are any.
One on the deck
LT Box Boy
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Bomaderry (Nowra) - New South Wales

Unread postby MRFS » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:34 am

I've probably got some Traffic Circulars about there - will dig around.
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Unread postby LT Box Boy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:19 am

MRFS wrote:I've probably got some Traffic Circulars about there - will dig around.

That would be good if you could. I have found some photos on Flickr which also help as you can see some of the frames although not close up. I even found the main frame 'A' by looking at Google street view.
One on the deck
LT Box Boy
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Andrew Waugh » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:31 am

Here's the current official Appendix pages for Bomaderry: https://railsafe.org.au/trim/network-local-appendices?RecordNumber=D2013%2F77701
Although a very basic diagram, it does confirm four frames.

Here's a photo of Frame A on the platform: http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/heritageapp/HeritageItemImage.aspx?ID=4801133#ad-image-10
Note that this just works the signals and has releases for the ground frames (the Annett locks can be seen).

The other three ground frames will be even smaller. Frames B & D would probably have 2 levers (FPL with Annett lock, Point Lever). Frame C might have three or four levers.

I would have other diagrams, but not on this laptop...
Andrew Waugh
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Andrew Waugh » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:54 pm

Andrew Waugh
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby LT Box Boy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:19 pm

Andrew Waugh wrote:Here's a better diagram... https://railsafe.org.au/trim/contractor ... 2015%2F578

Andrew,

Many thanks they look very interesting on first view, I wonder if they are the circulars that MRFS is on about.
One on the deck
LT Box Boy
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby MRFS » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:15 am

Forgive me, I've been knocked out of action by a nasty cold. I have the CD next to me and will process later today.

These may be useful LINK.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Unread postby Stevoid » Mon Feb 1, 2016 11:05 pm

MRFS wrote:Forgive me, I've been knocked out of action by a nasty cold. I have the CD next to me and will process later today.

What is the "Special Staff Receptacle" referred to in these? Some of them mention there being a remote operator; is it something to do with that?
Stevoid
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby LT Box Boy » Tue Feb 2, 2016 11:50 am

MRFS wrote:Forgive me, I've been knocked out of action by a nasty cold. I have the CD next to me and will process later today.

Thanks for the link some interesting information.
One on the deck
LT Box Boy
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby MRFS » Wed Feb 3, 2016 4:22 pm

Stevoid wrote:

What is the "Special Staff Receptacle" referred to in these? Some of them mention there being a remote operator; is it something to do with that?

Vaguely - remember NSWGR fitted remote operators nearly everywhere. I have the requisite instructions from a 1944 NSWGR General Appendix, will scan them for you sometime.

MRFS

Unread postby Stevoid » Wed Feb 3, 2016 8:58 pm

MRFS wrote:
Stevoid wrote:

Vaguely - remember NSWGR fitted remote operators nearly everywhere. I have the requisite instructions from a 1944 NSWGR General Appendix, will scan them for you sometime.

Ah, thanks!
Stevoid
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Pete2320 » Thu Feb 4, 2016 12:51 pm

MRFS wrote:
Stevoid wrote:

Can't think why a Remote Operator would need a "Special Staff Receptacle" which is presumably not a staff machine in its own right and, even if it was, why it would be needed.

Pete
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby MRFS » Thu Feb 4, 2016 2:05 pm

A staff is extracted and locked into an external magazine, so there's a staff out to institute pilot working, available with a standard padlock.

MRFS

Unread postby stevej » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:53 am

G'day Stevoid, MRFS and others,

I presume that the circulars mentioning the Special Receptacle are old, dated 1931, 1956. I have not encountered such a Special Receptacle. The mention of Automatic working hints at the reason.

Automatic working in the Down Direction. Indicating that Bomaderry was not continuously manned. Shunting outside of the Home Signal would require an ETS staff for the section to be removed from the instrument, this being prior to the addition of the Outer Home signal.

Originally only qualified traffic staff were permitted to work ETS instruments. Automatic working was much later extended to train loco crew at unmanned staff stations. I would presume that a staff was withdrawn to be kept in the Special Receptacle for use by train crew during unmanned periods, originally Guards being issued with the SL (standard lock) key.

In more recent years after the removal of the freight train guard, train loco crew being issued with the SL key. Also as mentioned in the General Appendix part 2, page 166, for the implementation of pilot working.

The emergency method of working when the ETS system failed was the Proceed Order. I have never suffered a Proceed Order. But, according to older employees, a Proceed Order was a bit of a nightmare. Subsequent emergency working paperwork were likewise a bit of a rigmarole. Pilot working also a method of working trains during periods when the normal safeworking system was not functioning, such working requiring a traffic employee to be on duty at each end of the section.

Divisible miniature ETS was also in operation in various regions of NSW. I have never worked under divisible ETS, and am not sure just where such working was implemented. The ETS staff being divided into Ticket and Staff portions after removal from the instrument. The first train was dispatched under the Ticket portion. The second train was dispatched under the Staff portion, once the following train sectional time had elapsed. When both trains had arrived at the end of the section, the portions of the ETS screwed back together and sunk in the instrument. Train failure under divisible ETS was apparently also a nightmare.

I have worked under Bank Engine Key ETS working. This working was employed here near Bathurst for Tumulla bank. When the assisting engine was attached to the rear and only proceeded to the top of Tumulla, the Key was utilized, removal of the key locking the ETS instruments until the banker had returned and the key restored. The train loco crew being issued the ETS staff for the section, then the Key removed and issued to the bank engine crew.

ETS instrument failure was rare. But, I do know of incidents where an ETS staff was either stolen or misplaced. Plus, one amazing incident when an entire ETS instrument was stolen from an unmanned staff station. The things are very heavy, so would definitely require more than one culprit. Regardless, ETS is still my favourite NSWR safeworking system.

The most recent track diagram of Bomaderry that I possess (2015) indicates that the four frames still exist. Though, naturally ETS working has gone to history, replaced by Rail Vehicle Detection system. Some basic photos of Bomaderry can be found at http://www.nswrail.net/locations/show.p ... t:0#tabs-2

Steve.
stevej
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby stevej » Sat Aug 6, 2016 4:49 am

G'day again,
I have discovered another use for an ETS special receptacle.
Though, this would not apply to Bomaderry.
With Divisible ETS working, a special receptacle was utilized to store the Ticket portion of the ETS after that train had arrived.
Then, when the following train had arrived with the Staff portion of the ETS, the Ticket portion was retrieved from the receptacle and reunited with the Staff portion to then be sunk in the ETS instrument.
As far as I am aware, Divisible ETS was not utilized on the Illawarra South Coast line to Bomaderry.
General Appendix part 2 page 223 (Divisible ETS) details the use of the receptacle in this fashion.
Steve.
stevej
Crossing box
Crossing box

Return to Signalling - overseas