Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Photographs for identification

Signalling outside the UK (but including Northern Ireland), past, present and future

Re: Photographs for identification

Unread postby John Webb » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:54 am

John - a look at the Geograph website shows that the site of Killough station near Ardglass, on the East coast of Ireland, is now a caravan site. In a couple of pictures (see http://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=437936) there is a glimpse of the end of a building that might be the building behind the box. Note too the gas cylinder and rack by it - this might indicate a possible solution to your query?

The other two possibilities don't bring up any relevant pictures, but Ireland has far fewer pictures on Geograph than other parts of the UK/Eire.
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby davidwoodcock » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:06 am

Definitely Killough in County Down, Northern Ireland on the former Belfast & County Down Railway. If you use Google Maps to find Station Road, Killough, and select the satellite view, the former railway can be seen curving round to towards the Downpatrick Road with the erstwhile station at the Lough end of the curve. Selecting Streetview from Station Road, you can just see one corner of the box.

The station and railway were closed by the UTA in 1950.
davidwoodcock
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Wilkinstown » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:15 pm

I am not sure what cabin this is - it bears similarities to smaller Belfast & County Down Railway cabins. It is definitely not Carrowduff or Cappoquin. It could well be Killough - this cabin closed in 1926 and would be a remarkable survivor !
Wilkinstown
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:23 pm

Between the three of you, you have confirmed the location without doubt! Following David's instructions I can see about 50% of the box, from the rear.The adjoining house has identical windows and chimney, and building behind the box (a garage) can be identified so there is no question in my mind.

Amazing that it had an operational life of just 34 years but looks as fresh as ever. One must also reflect on Norman Cadge's ability to find such things, and his perseverence to obtain a photograph - one assumes he had to ask permission to do so.

Thank you all!

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby davidwoodcock » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:26 pm

John Hinson wrote:One must also reflect on Norman Cadge's ability to find such things, and his perseverence to obtain a photograph - one assumes he had to ask permission to do so.

And presumably during the troubles. Although Killough would have been in solid protestant Loyalist territory, working visits to Northern Ireland during this period quickly taught me the need to tread ultra-carefully.
davidwoodcock
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Previous

Return to Signalling - overseas