Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Valencia Harbour signal cabin & ground frame

Signalling outside the UK (but including Northern Ireland), past, present and future

Valencia Harbour signal cabin & ground frame

Unread postby KEVIN SMITH » Sun Apr 3, 2016 5:50 pm

HI-A couple of weeks ago I went to the Alexandra palace model railway exhibition and in there was a fine scale model of Valencia harbour station ( it also appeared in model rail magazine last year) there was not time to talk to the builder of this layout about the signalling arrangements there but when I got home I looked in the Oakwood press volume one book on the branch ( I don't own number 2 ) the chapter on signalling was not much use. But there are a few things readers might be able to throw some light on. The signal cabin had five levers one spare one for the starter, one for the home another for the shunt signal next to the starter and one for the point and EPL . Now sometime later the signal cabin closed and was replaced by a ground frame. Photographs seem to show nothing seems to have changed out on the track (apart from the missing signal box) so I have three questions one, how was the GF locked , Two, with the levers all normal was the home signal kept in the off position for arriving trains, and Three was ETS replaced by OTS working or were the staff instruments moved into the station buildings ? As the line closed as late as 1960 somebody out there should know .
KEVIN SMITH
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Valencia Harbour signal cabin & ground frame

Unread postby AndyB » Sun Apr 3, 2016 10:29 pm

The answer about the GF is it would have been locked by a key on the staff. With all signals being retained, I would expect that the home and starter levers must be capable of being left reversed at the one time, much as they are at Portrush to this day (and will continue to be when Portrush ceases to be a Block Post later this year.)

It's quite probable that a large type ETS would have been retained in the station building, but the instrument only used as required for a second train to come down the branch.

In that case, the scenario you would imagine would be:

1. Train arrives in platform, runs round, shunts out beyond home signal, and reverses into siding, where it is locked in via the GF. ETS can be replaced in instrument and another one obtained.
2. Next train arrives, runs round, shunts into loop
3. First train shunts into platform and departs with passengers
4. Staff obtained by PIC to release GF and shunt second train either back into platform or into siding, assuming that shunting

Of course, if second trains were exceptional, then the instrument would have remained like Waterford Abbey Junction-New Ross and Queenstown Junction (as the staffs remained despite Queenstown having become Cobh in the 1920s)-Midleton, both of which had large ETS instruments and the hypothetical ability to revert to ETS until the 1990s in the case of New Ross, and 2009 in the case of Midleton, but in practice neither had done so in probably decades.
AndyB
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Wilkinstown » Mon Apr 4, 2016 11:35 pm

As of 1958 the line between Cahirciveen and Valentia Harbour was worked by "Train Staff and Single Engine in Steam, Cahirciveen, Valentia"

The layout appears to have been worked by a four lever ground frame controlling the points at the Cahirciveen end, the up starter, the down home and a disc reading towards Cahirciveen from the up loop. Normally I would expect a release lever but photographs appear to show only 4 levers.

As regards Portrush, if it ceases to be a block post will it be possible to lock trains in the yard and platforms as at present ?
Wilkinstown
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby AndyB » Tue Apr 5, 2016 6:38 pm

Wilkinstown, yes, it will revert to pilot working as required.
AndyB
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to Signalling - overseas