Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Black Semaphore Signals

Signalling outside the UK (but including Northern Ireland), past, present and future

Re: Black Semaphore Signals

Unread postby DCCDave » Wed May 4, 2016 9:45 pm

It is all part of the investigative process that I go through, especially when other people's work is involved.
I could have taken the easy way out and just deleted them from the files and concentrated on what I was doing but I am not built that way.
It is not a matter of over complicating things on my part but just a desire to seek the truth so others may benefit.

Whilst I agree with your assertion, somebody bothered to create them and then add them to the Library Files. Therefore there must have been a perceived need for them. It is not my place to wantonly destroy someone else's work. If nothing more comes from this thread I will simply place them into a "Miscellaneous" folder within the Library as 'Possible Signal Box Diagram Icons'.
DCCDave
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu May 5, 2016 1:30 pm

I agree with MRFS's view - the Eastern Region coloured all arms worked by adjoining boxes black on their diagrams at one time. I always thought it might have been to help those who colour in the box diagrams not make mistakes and colour the wrong bits, requiring another print to be made. Your pictures show them looking too "British" in shape to me to belong on other countries' railways.

It is a style that quite suits uncoloured diagrams too, and I adopted it for my own hand-drawn style (which is a mish-mash of what I see as the best features of all kinds) seen at http://www.signalbox.org/diagrams.php .

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby DCCDave » Thu May 5, 2016 7:57 pm

Thanks for that John. I replied earlier from my iPhone but it does not appear to have reached you yet>

Dave
DCCDave
Crossing box
Crossing box

Previous

Return to Signalling - overseas