Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Some items of Signalling Interest, Mullingar to Athlone

Signalling outside the UK (but including Northern Ireland), past, present and future

Some items of Signalling Interest, Mullingar to Athlone

Unread postby Wilkinstown » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:36 pm

If you follow the dropbox link below (and assuming I have set set it up correctly) you will find an several images including one commemorating amongst other dates the closure of Castletown station as a block post. The cabin on the former MGWR main line, between Mullingar and Athlone, remained in use to operate signals protecting the adjacent level crossing with occasional movements operating over the line until the late 1990s.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q0oq7w9xt0sc ... swTsa?dl=0
Wilkinstown
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Some items of Signalling Interest, Mullingar to Athlone

Unread postby KEVIN SMITH » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:44 am

Nice photographs , it looks like a cycle track has been built along side is that right ? So what is the currant status of the line is it OOU, closed, mothballed ? you never cam tell in Ireland trains just stop running but they leave the track in place and do any of the signals work if any have survived ?
KEVIN SMITH
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Wilkinstown » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:52 pm

Athlone to Mullingar line is disconnected at both ends, track remains in place with cycle-way alongside. Plans to re-open the line fell foul of the recent recession but there remains a slim possibility of future re-opening but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Wilkinstown
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby AndyB » Sat Oct 8, 2016 11:44 am

Interesting - I didn't realise it was inaccessible at Mullingar.

It was disconnected at the other end when Athlone East Junction needed to be renewed, and Irish Rail couldn't justify paying for a new turnout to a line with no traffic.
AndyB
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to Signalling - overseas