Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Singapore CBTC accident

Signalling outside the UK (but including Northern Ireland), past, present and future

Singapore CBTC accident

Unread postby Andrew Waugh » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:54 am

The Land Transport Authority of Singapore has published the executive summary of its investigation into the rear end collision at Joo Koon station on 15 November 2017:

https://www.lta.gov.sg/data/apps/news/p ... Report.pdf

The five page summary does give an idea of how the accident happened, but the lack of detail means that the actual causes are obscure. I was surprised at the lack of detail in the report about the processes used to manage failure of the system. Unfortunately, the full report does not seem to be available.

This appears to be an internal investigation into the accident, not an external investigation as would occur in the UK, USA (or even Australia).
Andrew Waugh
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Singapore CBTC accident

Unread postby tjc » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:26 pm

I remember reading some of the news reports about it at the time, and couldn't help but think they had decided to blame Thales rather quickly.
tjc
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Singapore CBTC accident

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Tue Jan 9, 2018 5:08 pm

It seems strange to me that they had permitted the CBTC system to operate at all with 210b points not detected by the CBTC and without the detection it was obvious that the CBTC would be unable to process where the train was going at the points.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Return to Signalling - overseas