Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

NYMR workings - Grosmont to Whitby

Signalling on heritage railways

Re: NYMR workings - Grosmont to Whitby

Unread postby Jumble Lane » Wed Oct 4, 2017 10:43 am

Charles Weightman plans to include an explanation of the workings of NSTR on the Whitby branch and its connections in his talk to the Signalling Record Society Crewe meeting on Saturday18th November. See the SRS web site for more details.
Jumble Lane
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Oct 4, 2017 2:45 pm

Thanks - I shall have to rely on you for an update on that as I am otherwise engaged that day.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby John Hinson » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:46 am

John Hinson wrote:The "Not to proceed beyond without token" sign (or whatever it says) is not on that diagram - but is on the single line so by your description of the working of the stop board at Sleights it would seem there is potential for a head-on collision during shunting.

At the Signalling Record Society meeting at Crewe yesterday, I took the opportunity to discuss the Whitby line with the gentleman that designed the original signalling, and indeed designed the Grosmont arrangements voluntarily for the NYMR in retirement.

He clarified some of the arrangements that have caused me puzzlement, the key ones for me being:
  • The sign at Whitby about not proceeding beynd the board without a token (out on the single line), whilst ahead of the signs at the ends of the platforms which he calls "starting signals" does not mean you can proceed up to it without withdrawing a token. It is there because that token has to be inserted in the ground frame for shunting moves, but has to be returned to the driver before he can pass that board. (I'm not sure this sign is technically essential, there must have been zillions of intermediate ground frames in the past that never had such signs).
  • The stop board at Sleights has no "block working" purpose and is (his words) something to do with crossing timing
  • A train cannot therefore leave Glaisdale (or Grosmont) whilst shunting takes place at Whitby.

This arrangement must limit the scheduling considerably, for whilst there are currently only four trains a day to/from the Middlesbrough direction and about an equal number from the NYMR, the length of the single-line section, plus the time taken fiddling with ground frames at two locations per journey by NYMR trains, plus the dead stop at Sleights for all Whitby-bound trains must utuilise almost all of the available paths. There are apparently plans to increase the Middlesbrough trains to 8 per day, and for that the signalling will have to be streamlined. He spoke of motorising the points worked by the ground frames which I wouldn't have thought would save a lot of time unless they were remotely controlled or automatically set.

Incidentally, Nunthorpe box - who is repsonsible for managing trains on the Whiby line - is no longer in the great Network Rail scheme of things and will apparently be one of the few signal boxes to survive. This is because it is considered there would be no staff saving by moving control into one of these sup-dupa control centres. Allegedly.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Signalling - heritage railways