Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Sleights East

Signalling on heritage railways

Sleights East

Unread postby GCRuss » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:57 am

Hi,

Just heard today that the above box, which was moved to an adjacent scrap yard when took out of use, was moved recently to Skipton. Presume Embsay Railway.

Seems they paid £1k for it. Scrap man got it for nowt.

Russ
GCRuss
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Sleights East

Unread postby John » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:21 pm

GCRuss wrote:Hi,

Just heard today that the above box, which was moved to an adjacent scrap yard when took out of use, was moved recently to Skipton. Presume Embsay Railway.

Seems they paid £1k for it. Scrap man got it for nowt.

Russ

It was still in the scrapyard last week when my colleague formally inspected the xing. Box was in very good nick!
John Tilly
www.tillyweb.biz
www.senalizacion.biz

REPORT Railway Crime or suspicious activity to BTP on Freephone 0800.405040
John
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Muppet » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:31 pm

We did pay for it, but only the costs incurred, and a lot less than had we had to deal with Network Rail and a posession!

Now having foundations built at Bolton Abbey where it will become a demonstration signalbox (when we track down a suitable frame)...
Tim Warner
E&BASR webmaster
S&T department volunteer
Muppet
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Muppet » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:32 pm

Tim Warner
E&BASR webmaster
S&T department volunteer
Muppet
Branch line box
Branch line box

moving

Unread postby Muppet » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:55 am

Hopefully the base of the signalabox is finally moving onto its new foundations today! The weather this summer has held things up dramatically, but now we've (theoretically) got the base on, we can sort out the top and lift that back on in November or earlier if things go well!

Otherwise, a lot of time has gone into repairs to the box such as reglazing windows, stripping the interior, patching / replacing bits of the woodwork (such as windowsills). Now there's all the furniture from Stanlow and Thornton to repair...
Tim Warner
E&BASR webmaster
S&T department volunteer
Muppet
Branch line box
Branch line box

^

Unread postby Muppet » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:45 pm

Base of box now in the correct location, square and level! Top should be going on in a couple of weeks.

Tim
Tim Warner
E&BASR webmaster
S&T department volunteer
Muppet
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Muppet » Fri Nov 7, 2008 2:35 pm

The rise of the superquick kit continues - 'sticking' back together should take place tomorrow with the aid of a big crane!

Pictures to follow
Tim Warner
E&BASR webmaster
S&T department volunteer
Muppet
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Muppet » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:10 am

Well, The two halves of the signalbox have been reunited (with the aid of a big hand in the sky)! Now we've got to build some steps and re-clad the exterior of the lower half where we removed the cladding for lifting...
Tim Warner
E&BASR webmaster
S&T department volunteer
Muppet
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Muppet » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:29 pm

Now we need some dry warm weather to try and repaint it as well as complete repairs.

All being well the boards that were removed from the front and sides will be going back on during this week. The back has already been reclad in ply as we are trying to find somewhere that will produce 15' lengths of shiplap - any suggestions?
Tim Warner
E&BASR webmaster
S&T department volunteer
Muppet
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Webb » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:36 pm

Tim, doesn't the Bolton Abbey estate have it's own timber mill not so far from you? Might be worth asking?

The firm that did the structural work on St Albans South Box were able to get replacement cladding boards - I could ask our Chairman if he knows where they came from, even if we are 200+ miles south of you! They also built our brand-new staircase as well. (See my earlier postings on the restoration of our box.)
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Peter Jordan » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:43 pm

Any proper timber merchant (not a 'Homebase' or 'B&Q') ought to be able to manufacture/machine boards to your requirement. We certainly had some machined for Exeter West and I seem to recall the SVR having some made for Bewdley South at the timber yard just at the bottom of the station drive!

Peter Jordan
Peter Jordan
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Muppet » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:38 am

10' lengths are more easily obtainable - the last repairs on this box obviously had the same issue as there are a number of joined boards. We've had some made in the past (for the former Guiseley box) but are finding it diffcult.
Tim Warner
E&BASR webmaster
S&T department volunteer
Muppet
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Muppet » Sat Dec 6, 2008 12:52 pm

Just been looking online for any additional photos / information about the signalbox in its working days and came up with the original Midland Raiwlay diagram (Lot 26).

http://www.talismanauctions.co.uk/archives/Nov08/page02.html

I don't suppose anyone on here bought it, did they?

Would be very interested in it, if it hadn't already been sold. Would still be interested in a good photo of it...
Tim Warner
E&BASR webmaster
S&T department volunteer
Muppet
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Muppet » Mon Mar 7, 2011 10:36 am

I realise it's been ages since I updated progress on this, so here goes!

We now have finials back on the roof, a new door for upstairs ready to fit, the back has been reclad and painted...

We have power - the box has been wired up properly so we can see what we're up to! The downstairs door is moving from one end to the other to replicate Bolton Abbey's original 'box - all the structural stuff was done a while ago, but until I've finished making the new door for the relay room, I can't re-clad that end!

Next up - replacing the front windowsill, repairing a sash window, fitting the new doors, re-roofing the front section...
Tim Warner
E&BASR webmaster
S&T department volunteer
Muppet
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Andrea » Mon Mar 7, 2011 2:11 pm

Going to have to pay a visit, you've got 2 boxes which I've worked in, Sleights and Guiseley Station, most of the boxes I've worked have either closed or are about to, anyone fancy moving Trent PSB and setting it up somewhere? LOL :lol: :lol: :D
Andrea
Branch line box
Branch line box

Next

Return to Signalling - heritage railways