Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Welsh Highland Railway S&T

Signalling on heritage railways

Re: Welsh Highland Railway S&T

Unread postby Richard Lemon » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:34 pm

Oops ... before PGB reads the above ... Where I said "metal" tickets, they are, in fact, plastic. Each is uniquely numbered and when the member of train crew is authorised to take a ticket (the ticket box is released by a key on the staff) the number of the ticket has to be read back to the Controller who thus has confirmation that a ticket for the correct section is being taken.

Richard
Richard Lemon
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Richard Maund » Fri Jan 8, 2016 4:15 pm

Post by Richard Lemon » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:12 pm

Very basically, WHR operation is staff and (metal) ticket, all movements on the authority of FR Control in Porthmadog. Sections are Caernarfon - Dinas - Waunfawr - Rhyd Ddu - Beddgelert - Pont Croesor - Porthmadog Harbour. All loops, with the exception at present of Waunfawr, have "Shunt Tokens" to enable local / run round moves without the section token. Shunt Token issue is only by permission of Control. Cae Pawb crossing of the Cambrian is by remote release from Machynlleth and "blocks" the crossing to the main line through the ERTMS.

Does this description still hold good, please?
Richard Maund
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby MRFS » Sat Jan 9, 2016 10:09 am

Yes, Waenfawr has been a running item in TCs for a while now: 'this station is not yet fitted with a shunt token'.
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Previous

Return to Signalling - heritage railways