Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Welsh Highland Railway S&T

Signalling on heritage railways

Welsh Highland Railway S&T

Unread postby MDickinson » Sun May 22, 2011 6:41 pm

Is there anyone on here from the Welsh Highland S&T dept? or knows of a contact within the department? I'd like to pick their brains over a couple of subjects if possible. PM me if preferred :)

Thanks,
Mike.
MDickinson
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Welsh Highland Railway S&T

Unread postby Keith » Sun May 22, 2011 10:01 pm

I did learn a bit about their signalling (specifically the flat crossing with the Cambrian) when I organised the recent IRSE visit, but I'm pretty sure one of the forum's regular contributers works there, so it's definitely safer to let him deal with questions about any other part of the system.
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Unread postby pgbffest » Thu May 26, 2011 9:15 pm

You rang m'lud? How can I help?
pgbffest
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby MDickinson » Thu May 26, 2011 10:01 pm

pgbffest wrote:You rang m'lud? How can I help?

Thank you Jeeves, would you bring the roller round the front old boy? :lol:

Im interested in the train operated points recently installed on the WHR, in particular the hydraulic damping system used to stop the point blades being smashed back and forth. would it be possible to get details on what parts are used and where they came from? (cylinder, valve, pipework etc)

I'd also like to know how the points are operated to the reverse position for shunting moves etc.

Thanks,
Mike.
MDickinson
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby pgbffest » Fri May 27, 2011 6:30 am

MDickinson wrote:
Im interested in the train operated points recently installed on the WHR, in particular the hydraulic damping system used to stop the point blades being smashed back and forth. would it be possible to get details on what parts are used and where they came from? (cylinder, valve, pipework etc).

I'd also like to know how the points are operated to the reverse position for shunting moves etc.

Thanks,
Mike.

Hi Mike,

Will get back to you on the technical stuff. I know the first set which were installed at Dinas were made by Highrail systems (aka Roland Doyle), but I'm not sure about subsequent sets. However, here is a little photo for you of the innards! (Warning contains explicit image of the General Manager - but it was the only one I could find!)

We only reverse the points in an emergency as it is a complete pain to do so. Inside the cabinet is a yellow bar which connects to a sprocket on the weight. This bar can then be lifted or sat on (much easier) to lift the weight up and move the points. Then a second person applies a clamp to the points. If the points are to be left in that position for more than one move, then a "scothe" is applied between the open blade. Reason for the name "scothe" is that somebody spelt it wrong once and the name got around.

Phil
pgbffest
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Keith » Sat May 28, 2011 6:38 pm

pgbffest wrote:Reason for the name "scothe" is that somebody spelt it wrong once and the name got around.
Wonderful! :lol:

Do I detect a new thread starting on mis-spellings that have stuck? :roll:
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Unread postby StevieG » Sat May 28, 2011 9:09 pm

pgbffest wrote: " .... I know the first set which were installed at Dinas were made by Highrail systems (aka Roland Doyle), but I'm not sure about subsequent sets. However, here is a little photo for you of the innards! .... " Phil
Good link for those who are on, or are happy to join, Facebook : But for those who don't ....
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby MDickinson » Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Thanks for the photo, thought that lifting the weight somehow is the way to change the points! With all the malarkey about clips etc, couldn't the weight be fixed in the upright position for the reverse move? No need for the GM to hold onto it a lot as well :D
Mike
MDickinson
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby pgbffest » Mon May 30, 2011 9:45 pm

MDickinson wrote:Thanks for the photo, thought that lifting the weight somehow is the way to change the points! With all the malarkey about clips etc, couldn't the weight be fixed in the upright position for the reverse move? No need for the GM to hold onto it a lot as well :D
Mike

The weights don't have any method of securing them and providing the cabinet door opens sufficiently a person sitting on the lever is good enough to hold it down.

I've asked the question about the technical bits and will come back to you all - albeit, it was asked in the weekly Friday post work meeting.....
pgbffest
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Keith » Tue May 31, 2011 9:44 pm

pgbffest wrote:['ve asked the question about the technical bits and will come back to you all - albeit, it was asked in the weekly Friday post work meeting.....
No doubt that meeting is held in the room occupied by a certain Princess. :wink:
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Unread postby MRFS » Tue May 31, 2011 9:52 pm

Keith wrote:
pgbffest wrote:['ve asked the question about the technical bits and will come back to you all - albeit, it was asked in the weekly Friday post work meeting.....
No doubt that meeting is held in the room occupied by a certain Princess. :wink:

She guards the large staff machine. :wink:
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Unread postby Chris Osment » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:20 am

So what is the current method of single-line block working on the WHR please?
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
http://www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby MRFS » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:22 am

Train Staff and Ticket, I think - I'm not too sure of the current sections [method] below Pont Croesor, though I have heard that '& ticket' is permissible over the Cambrian.

Perhaps pgb can elucidate further.
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Unread postby Richard Lemon » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:12 pm

CHris,

Very basically, WHR operation is staff and (metal) ticket, all movements on the authority of FR Control in Porthmadog. Sections are Caernarfon - Dinas - Waunfawr - Rhyd Ddu - Beddgelert - Pont Croesor - Porthmadog Harbour. All loops, with the exception at present of Waunfawr, have "Shunt Tokens" to enable local / run round moves without the section token. Shunt Token issue is only by permission of Control.

Cae Pawb crossing of thr Cambrian is by remote release from Machynlleth and "blocks" the crossing to the main line through the ERTMS.

I hope this helps.

Richard

PS I am sure that PGB can post some photographs of the tokens!
Richard Lemon
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Chris Osment » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:20 pm

Many thanks for the update.
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
http://www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box