Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Swanage Railway - Project Wareham

Signalling on heritage railways

Re: Swanage Railway - Project Wareham

Unread postby Mark Jamieson » Sat Aug 4, 2012 8:23 am

From the new box notes that will appear on Corfe Castle diagram.

Tyers 'No Signalman' Key Token (Bell Not Provided) to Norden Gates
Tyers 'No Signalman' Key Token (Remote) Norden Gates to Worgret Junction with telephone communication to Basingstoke ASC

There will be two instruments located in cabinets at Wareham station, one on each platform. In addition a direct phone line at each instrument to Corfe Castle. When requested the Corfe signalman will press a plunger on the blockshlef to release a token, a seperate plunger for each instrument.

There are no intermediate instruments at Furzebrook or Eldon Sidings, however direct phone lines will be provided at the GF's at Furzebrook due to the remote nature of the location.

The up and down distant signals for Norden Gates will be fixed, the down distant now has its arm fitted.

The up and down home signals for Norden Gates will be power operated semaphores. The down home will be NG32, the up home will be NG4. Norden Gates will also release Norden North GF (NG28).

Norden Gates will be fitted out like (for example) Puxton http://photos.signallingnotices.org.uk/ ... G_1310.JPG but better, and in a more Southern style. The functions will be worked by switches on the block shelf. The two token instruments will be located beneath the block shelf. The operator will be back to traffic. The eventual aim is to then migrate all functions to Corfe Castle as previously stated.

Norden Gates is in essance a token exchange point, the operator working to the Corfe Castle signalmans instructions. I believe there is a similar arrangement on Network Rail in Kent, although not familiar with the location i think it is on the Grain branch? Likewise there the operator works under instruction from the controlling signalman.

Norden Gates was built by Buildings Bespoke and is loosly based on Lyme Regis. If required it can be reused elsewhere on the railway once it has served its purpose at Norden.
Mark Jamieson
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Sat Aug 4, 2012 9:06 am

(Pedantic mode on) Well I'm working on the far end at Wareham and its NST not NSTR. NST is used when there is a controlling SB at one end and NSTR is when both ends are Remote from a SB.(Pedantic mode off) :roll:
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Chris Osment » Sat Aug 4, 2012 9:25 am

Without the benefit of a plan :? ....if one section extends to the Up stop board, and the other extends to the Down stop board, and assuming that those two sections do not overlap, then why would you need both tokens to travel between the two Stop boards if that bit of line is not part of either section?
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
http://www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Mark Jamieson » Sat Aug 4, 2012 9:35 am

Chris Bellett wrote:(Pedantic mode on) Well I'm working on the far end at Wareham and its NST not NSTR. NST is used when there is a controlling SB at one end and NSTR is when both ends are Remote from a SB.(Pedantic mode off) :roll:

Don't shoot the messenger, i just draw their diagrams.

You could argue that Norden is remote from Corfe Castle?
Mark Jamieson
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Sat Aug 4, 2012 9:59 am

Mark Jamieson wrote:
Chris Bellett wrote:(Pedantic mode on) Well I'm working on the far end at Wareham and its NST not NSTR. NST is used when there is a controlling SB at one end and NSTR is when both ends are Remote from a SB.(Pedantic mode off)

Mark, Didn't intend to do so :shock:
The controlling SB is still Corfe Castle so my point still stands.
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Mark Jamieson » Sat Aug 4, 2012 10:19 am

Chris Bellett wrote:
Mark Jamieson wrote:
Chris Bellett wrote:(Pedantic mode on) Well I'm working on the far end at Wareham and its NST not NSTR. NST is used when there is a controlling SB at one end and NSTR is when both ends are Remote from a SB.(Pedantic mode off)

Mark, Didn't intend to do so :shock:
The controlling SB is still Corfe Castle so my point still stands.

Not a problem Chris, i was only joking really.

Yes i agree with what you're saying. I will have a chat with Swanage S&T next week and perhaps get this changed as it needs to be correct.
Mark Jamieson
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby guard_jamie » Sun Aug 5, 2012 8:42 am

How is it intended to operate this day to day, Push-pull?
doing nothing in particular but doing it very well
guard_jamie
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby push-pull » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:39 pm

Chris Osment wrote:Without the benefit of a plan :? ....if one section extends to the Up stop board, and the other extends to the Down stop board, and assuming that those two sections do not overlap, then why would you need both tokens to travel between the two Stop boards if that bit of line is not part of either section?

Sorry for the delayed reply Chris, Norden Crossing splits the two sections. There is special metion in the Rule Book Appendix on how it should be worked....

"On arrival of a train at Norden Level Crossing the Person-In-Charge must obtain the token/ train staff for the rear section and deliver the token / train staff for the advance section"

"Movements will be authorised past the STOP boards by green handsignal exhibited from the crossing by the Person-In- Charge"

"Trains may not stand between the Up and Down STOP boards unless the Person-In-Charge is in possession of both token and train staff, vehicles must be within the section concerned"

Marco

P.S. some more news....http://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/news840.htm
push-pull
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby push-pull » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:27 pm

A few new photos....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73306165@N ... 0334583588

This week I shall give the first token a mechanical test, and if all is well start mass production!!

One alteration is rather than upgrade the exising Norden North Ground frame, the replacement 5 lever Ground frame and rodding run will be constructed on the opposite side, thereby (hopefully) avoiding any futue building works at the station......
push-pull
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby GRAHAM LSWR » Tue Apr 2, 2013 3:29 pm

Any update of the project

Graham.
GRAHAM LSWR
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby DaveHarries » Wed Apr 3, 2013 8:10 pm

Graham et al,

A quick trawl of the news items on the Swanage Railway's website brings up some stuff of interest. Starting with the most recent first.....

- 26th March: one-off SWT service from Bournemouth to Swanage. With passengers.
http://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/news862.htm

- 21st February: best news of all is a £1.47m grant to aid Project Wareham:
http://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/news858.htm

Regarding that second article, it seems that among the congratulatory messages on winning that grant came one from from NR who said: "Very good news indeed. All of us at Network Rail fully support what you are all doing at Swanage and look forward to seeing your trains running to Wareham and beyond." It seems as if the service hopes to get off the ground in Spring 2015.

HTIOI,
Dave
Last Photo'd: June 2015
Yorkshire (Batley, Cattal, Hammerton, Kirkham, Kiveton Pk, Knaresborough, Poppleton), Teeside (Billingham), Northumberland (Bardon, Haydon Bridge, Hexham, Prudhoe, Wylam) & Lincolnshire (Roxton Sidings)

Next trip: TBC
DaveHarries
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby push-pull » Sun Apr 7, 2013 11:34 am

All,

Behind the scenes much work on the signalling, especially the wiring continues apace. Over 95% of the wiring in Corfe Castle Box is complete, and Norden Gates Box is in service.... although not externally finished. At the moment I'm machining the brass fittings for the Token Control box at CC. The last I heard the Mainline Re-signaling has slipped to November.

Marco
push-pull
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby GRAHAM LSWR » Sun Apr 7, 2013 2:01 pm

Marco
Great news any updated photos.
Graham.
GRAHAM LSWR
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby DaveHarries » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:06 pm

push-pull wrote:All,

Norden Gates Box is in service [......] The last I heard the Mainline Re-signaling has slipped to November.

Marco

Marco,

- Will the GB at Norden a proper job in green & cream (as was done at Tisbury, Wiltshire not long ago even tho the GB there hasn't been used in a while: looks very nice) or is it going to be a tacky portacabin-style structure? Come to think of it, could have been an interesting idea to acquire something the size of the Tisbury gateacabin: could have been used not only to control the crossing but also perhaps as a signalbox for Norden station.

- Interesting about the resignalling of the mainline. Wonder how that slipped? I see that, over the weekend of 04th - 06th May the line between Bournemouth and Poole will be closed, albeit not all on the same day.

Dave
Last Photo'd: June 2015
Yorkshire (Batley, Cattal, Hammerton, Kirkham, Kiveton Pk, Knaresborough, Poppleton), Teeside (Billingham), Northumberland (Bardon, Haydon Bridge, Hexham, Prudhoe, Wylam) & Lincolnshire (Roxton Sidings)

Next trip: TBC
DaveHarries
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Chris Osment » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:50 pm

Will the GB at Norden a proper job .......or is it going to be a tacky portacabin-style structure?

In an earlier posting Mark J wrote "Norden Gates was built by Buildings Bespoke and is loosely based on Lyme Regis."
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
http://www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

PreviousNext

Return to Signalling - heritage railways