Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

North Weald

Signalling on heritage railways

Re: North Weald

Unread postby scarpa » Wed May 27, 2015 9:00 pm

Correction John1 It was Fork junction signalbox siutated northside of the overbridge carrying the GE main lines at Stratford station.I will make some enquires to a retired TFL locking fitter.
scarpa
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby EOR S&T » Wed May 27, 2015 9:45 pm

I agree, SX southern was typically McKenzie, but thats not to say it wasn't a Leyton made copy, they had the patterns etc to cast identical new parts to the original specification (the patterns are now held at Mangapps Farm).

With regard to North Weald and Ongar, they were certainly modified and re locked by BR in 1948/49 prior to handing over to LU, all of the tappets were (and still are) marked RS Co L&NER. However it seems that was the last time BR had any input, at both sites when the yards were removed the levers simply had holes drilled in the tappets and pins inserted to stop the tappet moving in to the trough if the lever was moved. The electrical locking would have been added prior to the introduction of electric services and with the introduction of colour light signals (all locks were wired with standard lead coated cables) so an LU interpretation of what BR might do!

Chris.
EOR S&T
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed May 27, 2015 11:02 pm

scarpa wrote:Correction John1 It was Fork junction signalbox siutated northside of the overbridge carrying the GE main lines at Stratford station.I will make some enquires to a retired TFL locking fitter.

Ah, thanks.

EOR S&T wrote:I agree, SX southern was typically McKenzie, but thats not to say it wasn't a Leyton made copy, they had the patterns etc to cast identical new parts to the original specification (the patterns are now held at Mangapps Farm).

Wow! I reckon it is a good 40 years since I heard anybody call Stratford SX!

To be honest I think the frame at "SX Southern" was original to the box in the 1890s, but it did have an extension made later which most likely did come out of the big Leyton melting pot.

Best regards,

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Signalling - heritage railways