Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Fire at Butterley.

Signalling on heritage railways

Fire at Butterley.

Unread postby Signalhunter » Tue Apr 7, 2015 10:32 am

On my Facebook feed, last night, there was mention of a fire at the Midland Railway Centre, Butterley. The image showed one of the signal boxes being consumed by flames.
Does anyone here have anything more than the FB speculation?
Railways help me relax after a hard day at work. ERGO:- Railways help pay my bills!!
Signalhunter
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Fire at Butterley.

Unread postby Danny252 » Tue Apr 7, 2015 1:07 pm

Similar speculation on other sites all suggest it's at Hammersmith (the Western end of the line), and there is a local news article reporting a fire at a "disused signal unit" off Asher Lane in Ripley, which would match Hammersmith station.

Users on the WNXX forum suggest that it's the disused box Desford Colliery signal box on the South side of Hammersmith station, rather than the Kilby Bridge signal box which is in use.
Danny252
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby John Webb » Tue Apr 7, 2015 3:42 pm

I also understand it to be the non-operational former Desford Colliery box, which according to the MR-Butterley website (see http://www.midlandrailway-butterley.co.uk/signalboxes/nonoperational%20.html#Desford) was being used as an S&T store and did not have a lever frame fitted. There is no news item about the fire yet on their website. Neither is there any information on the Derbyshire F&R Service site currently.

I don't have information about the cause, but hope to learn something through my contacts with the HRA and others dealing with fire in heritage buildings. Needless to say I shall be reviewing our precautions at St Albans South once more details are available. At least we can't park a car next to the box and suffer damage from that igniting as happened at Sheringham!
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Danny252 » Tue Apr 7, 2015 10:16 pm

An announcement was posted on the MRC's Facebook page, confirming the situation - link.

BBC Local Live Derbyshire also briefly mentioned the incident, and that police are treating it as arson - link, although I expect the update will disappear from view shortly.
Danny252
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Danny252 » Wed Apr 8, 2015 11:50 am

An official response has appeared in a local press article: http://www.ripleyandheanornews.co.uk/ne ... -1-7197169
Danny252
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Signalhunter » Thu Apr 9, 2015 9:24 am

Terrible. I hope it wasn't a disgruntled volunteer. That would mean malice aforethought. A local yob, getting "his kicks" would just be mindless.
Railways help me relax after a hard day at work. ERGO:- Railways help pay my bills!!
Signalhunter
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to Signalling - heritage railways