Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Turnover Frame and Rowsley shunt frame

Signalling on heritage railways

Turnover Frame and Rowsley shunt frame

Unread postby kestreleyes » Sun May 24, 2015 8:44 pm

Its been a while since i last posted on the forum but just a quick update as to how the installation of the Turnover frame is going at Rowsley

The frame itself (15 levers saved ) has been re erected withn the old cabin from Bamford that stood at Darley Dale for many years unused, the cabin itself has as with most had major renewal surgery on its end and rear portions,and is in the process of having its final coats of paint applied, with many thanks to David and Ruth Dyson who attend most of the finer paintworks on the department.

The windows of the cabin have been completely reglazed in Palsun Polycarbonate thanks to David and Pete, at least they are vandalproof to a good degree, and the plan is to erect it opposite the Old North cabin site at Rowsley where it will take over from two handpoints ,one three lever ground frame and a sprung trap point worked off a frame (slotted drive) to bring the whole under one frame.

We were lucky with the help of other colleagues (must name Mr Burke here) for getting the 15 levers ex Barrow hill Sidings frame from the NRM together with the ex Sandy self adjusting weight gear, which will be used on the two main line end points, leaving the siding and trap adjustable by the engineer through turnbuckles as close to the box, the self adjusting weights have now been fitted within a framework as none was saved with them originally and these unlike the european system will be mounted under the cabin (a) for safety of those around and (b) as we plan to let folks go in the cabin to view the frame so it gives them another aspect of the whole project to see.

Hopefully this weekend coming I can get the weights fitted on the second one finally, I also have to thank Mr P Briddon for manufacturing many of the missing parts of both the weight adjuster and the clutch in the point operating boxes which have now all been fitted to the points, as with the european system the use of solid wire (same price ironically as a roll of conventional signalling wire) has been used using similar gauge high tensile fencing type wire from a local steel stockists, the making off of wire ends has also been easier-the first few I tried the seven turns which was fine if hand destroying and eventually settled on a simple aluminium crimp and feeding the wire back through till tight then crimping it off.

The frame was re-erected with only the bed plate having to be made new (bit ironic as the feet uinderneath were saved yet the plate above wasnt) but I believe there may be more of the frame in store elsewhere and that could be where the bedplate ended up too.

At present the locking trays have all been fitted awaiting locking as one of the final jobs and the double sided badges are with a colleague of mine to be completed as the levers have one badge on each side when turned, the works at present are concentrating on making the steelwork for the leadoff and underneath wheel and weight adjuster mountings from old rail sections to LmS designs and then we`l start on the brickwork base (trying as best to match Rowsley sidings).

If anyone can remind me how to post pictures on here il update a load of images of the works so far.

Dominic PR
yep i floated the van in sandbach lake once
kestreleyes
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Turnover Frame and Rowsley shunt frame

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Sun May 24, 2015 9:29 pm

Moderator Note: See here for how to post photographs: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=35
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby PinzaC55 » Tue May 26, 2015 8:05 pm

Interesting to hear about Bamford box. I was part of the team who recovered it from Bamford and I think I may have a photo of it being craned over the line at 5 in the morning. We used to have a bloke called John Phillips there and he spent a lot of time carefully refurbishing a load of electric lever locks - did they ever get used ? That's John looking at the Rowsley South SB diagram I had bought at the Matlock Auction.

Darley Dale (Bamford) Signalbox Interior 1990 par PinzaC55, on ipernity
PinzaC55
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby kestreleyes » Wed May 27, 2015 5:52 pm

Yes I remember john well. Sadly he passed away a few years back of cancer but even in the end knowing he wasn't well he wouldnt give up, his last works for the railway were running the cables in for the two train running

The locks were used at church lane and riverside and Hugh swinnerton completed them being overhauled. Another character high was. He gained the ex Chester station announcers system and tannoys which he brought upto us on the train every weekend bit by bit.

The following link may be I interest, its a book on the railway signalling volunteers and the history of what we've done so far;

http://www.blurb.co.uk/b/3980967-peak-r ... signalling
kestreleyes
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby vic south » Thu May 28, 2015 10:05 pm

Dominic,

I was on the recovery of the frame from Barrow Hill Up Sidings (about a thousand years ago now!). I was there with the MRT with whom the NRM split the frame. In fact we did most of the recovering and York basically got what we gave them. It was recently suggested to me that the MRT had disposed of their half of the frame to yourselves, it sounds like this isn't true. If so I fear for it's continued existence, so much of their signalling collection was scrapped around 20 years ago. However, it might be worth asking the question.

We certainly had both the end supports for the frame and a complete set of fittings and connections for our half of the frame. We also had a good haul of point operating boxes too. I remember the operating wires were stranded but much thicker (presumably more strands) than 'conventional' signal wires.

I look forward to seeing the completed project at Rowsley, I really must get up and have a look at that.

All the best,

Andrew
vic south
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby PinzaC55 » Thu May 28, 2015 10:19 pm

kestreleyes wrote:Yes I remember john well. Sadly he passed away a few years back of cancer but even in the end knowing he wasn't well he wouldnt give up, his last works for the railway were running the cables in for the two train running

The locks were used at church lane and riverside and Hugh swinnerton completed them being overhauled. Another character high was. He gained the ex Chester station announcers system and tannoys which he brought upto us on the train every weekend bit by bit.

The following link may be I interest, its a book on the railway signalling volunteers and the history of what we've done so far;

http://www.blurb.co.uk/b/3980967-peak-r ... signalling

Oh no I am very sad to hear about John - he was a good laugh and I remember he once wrote a letter to the magazine and signed it "P. Crail" and they didn't notice ! Nice to see the railway making great strides and it's a shame they never took up my suggestion to put the signal on the DD Up platform on castors, such was the number of times it was resited !
PinzaC55
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby kestreleyes » Tue Nov 3, 2015 9:09 pm

Update; october 2015;

Signalbox for Rowsley;

the main structure is now fully reglazed in palsun polycarbonate products,the woodwork has been completed and David and Ruth are well on with the last few coats of maroon and cream upon the outside of the building,Keith and his colleague have attended to the roof reslating issue from when the cabin was moved from Darley Dale.

Outside point gear;

the point operating boxes have been installed trackside,there are two point only items for the headshunt and sprung trap point and two that also operate their associated fpls, these two are located at the north end of the mainline.

all wires have been run awaiting connection to the frame, the steelwork for the underbox gear has been cut,errected and concreted into the ground and the ex balance arm beam from Darley Dale (ex Bamford ) has been reused on to the steelwork, the self adjusting weight arm gear ex Sandy ER, has been erected onto this itself as being the bigger items the other wheels need to be supported from this of a steel plate on the front itself due to the limited space available.

Turnover frame;

the 15 levers have been remounted save for one itself which is planned to be mounted near to the public viewing end of the cabin so that they can operate a demonstration lever, all the rest have been remounted on a steelwork frame made up from the items kindly donated by the NRM ex Barrow Hill Sth.

Brick Base;

plans are in hand to engage a contractor soon on the nitty gritty bit of building a suitable MR style brick base for the cabin top to be re-erected upon.

All and more can be found on the following link to the Departments website; http://dominic-beglin.magix.net/website/#LATEST PROJECTS NEWS

have fun all
kestreleyes
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Webb » Tue Nov 3, 2015 10:27 pm

Dom - interested to read that you've used polycarbonate glazing throughout. On restoring St Albans South we used laminated glass (virtually the same thickness as the old MR glass panes) in the majority of windows and polycarbonate in the south end where the access stairs are; also in the four downstairs windows. One minor problem is that we never seem to be able to get the polycarbonate glazing to look as clean as the glass-glazed windows.
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Wed Nov 4, 2015 12:20 pm

John Webb wrote:Dom - interested to read that you've used polycarbonate glazing throughout. On restoring St Albans South we used laminated glass (virtually the same thickness as the old MR glass panes) in the majority of windows and polycarbonate in the south end where the access stairs are; also in the four downstairs windows. One minor problem is that we never seem to be able to get the polycarbonate glazing to look as clean as the glass-glazed windows.

In the long term polycarbonate will turn yellow due to the action of exposure to the sun.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby kestreleyes » Wed Nov 4, 2015 7:40 pm

did you use PALSUN polycarbonate, its treated on the external side to prevent the yellowing usually associated with perspex and uv problems, there also has to be mentioned the regime of feather dusting it not using an old rag on it :)
kestreleyes
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby kestreleyes » Thu Nov 5, 2015 12:08 pm

kestreleyes
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Webb » Thu Nov 5, 2015 8:00 pm

kestreleyes wrote:did you use PALSUN polycarbonate, its treated on the external side to prevent the yellowing usually associated with perspex and uv problems, there also has to be mentioned the regime of feather dusting it not using an old rag on it :)

I don't know, to be honest, what polycarbonate was used. We tend to use disposable kitchen clothes and a spray-on cleaning solution. Noted re the feather-duster!
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Fri Nov 6, 2015 11:32 am

Wow what a great project, good luck and I look forward to seeing it in the flesh at a later date.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby StevieG » Fri Nov 6, 2015 3:17 pm

Fast Line Floyd wrote:

Wow what a great project, good luck and I look forward to seeing it in the flesh at a later date.
My congratulations also on such a worthy, advanced and good-looking project, and best wishes for the remaining progress to completion.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Return to Signalling - heritage railways