Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

'Original' signal boxes on Heritage Railways.

Signalling on heritage railways

Re: 'Original' signal boxes on Heritage Railways.

Unread postby push-pull » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:02 pm

Chris L wrote:Thanks very much John.

The block instrument is an interesting addition!

Chris.

Hi Chris and all. I'm responsible for bringing this frame back to life, it's intended to be a simulator/training facility, within a museum. It works with a manual simulator at the moment, witch is basically a large box covered in switches! The Block instrument shown will not be used...but it's gained a Tyer's No.6 Tablet machine. With all going on with the 'Wareham Extension', training has been postponed until the early Spring. Repainting and fitting out continues.....

Marco
push-pull
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Chris L » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:55 pm

Thanks very much for that info., Marco.

Good luck with the project; I look forward to hearing more in due course!

Chris.
Chris L
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Webb » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:04 pm

push-pull wrote:Hi Chris and all. I'm responsible for bringing this frame back to life, it's intended to be a simulator/training facility, within a museum. It works with a manual simulator at the moment, witch is basically a large box covered in switches! The Block instrument shown will not be used...but it's gained a Tyer's No.6 Tablet machine. With all going on with the 'Wareham Extension', training has been postponed until the early Spring. Repainting and fitting out continues.....

Marco

We saw the Tyer's in June - just didn't get it in the photo. Marco - not certain if you were one of the people we met with during our visit, but we can give you some ideas re circuitry from our experiences at St Albans South.
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Chris Osment » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:59 pm

Do you happen to know the origin of the ETT machine please? I assume the one that was there went across to the new box.
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
http://www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Graham Maxtone » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:08 am

I was just going by the SRS Signalling Atlas and Directory which states the frame was installed in 1993 - box re-opened in 2006.

Thanks for the information.

The frame at closure in 1965 was still intact after the Strathspey took over. It must have been replaced by the Carrbridge one during the time the extension to Broomhill was being put in.
Graham Maxtone
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Andrew G » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:16 am

Graham Maxtone wrote:I was just going by the SRS Signalling Atlas and Directory which states the frame was installed in 1993 - box re-opened in 2006.

The frame at closure in 1965 was still intact after the Strathspey took over. It must have been replaced by the Carrbridge one during the time the extension to Broomhill was being put in.

The directory does say the original frame is in storage - I wonder if it might be used at Grantown on Spey.
Andrew G
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby push-pull » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:29 pm

Chris Osment wrote:Do you happen to know the origin of the ETT machine please?

All equipment is loaned, owned or bequested to the SR Trust

Chris Osment wrote:I assume the one that was there went across to the new box.

Correct, it being the original to the branch.

Marco
push-pull
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Graham Maxtone » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:46 pm

Andrew G wrote:
Graham Maxtone wrote:I was just going by the SRS Signalling Atlas and Directory which states the frame was installed in 1993 - box re-opened in 2006.

The directory does say the original frame is in storage - I wonder if it might be used at Grantown on Spey.

Thanks, it might be.

That frame had several spaces in the middle (SRS Scrimgeour photos) which seemed unusual to me. Initially I thought this had resulted from the re-signalling in the late 50s but the earlier 1937 photos had pretty much the same spaces. Would it have been simpler interlocking wise just to install the Carrbridge frame?

Although not on a heritage railway the signalbox at Knockando has been recently tidied up and the original frame painted, although a couple of levers have been incorrectly coloured the painter has done a good job.
Graham Maxtone
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby John Hinson » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:55 pm

Graham Maxtone wrote:Although not on a heritage railway the signalbox at Knockando has been recently tidied up and the original frame painted, although a couple of levers have been incorrectly coloured the painter has done a good job.

Intrigued to know how you can tell that when the box steps are missing? When I was there recently I could barely see the tops of the levers to be sure the frame was still there.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Graham Maxtone » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:02 pm

John,

The refurbishment also included a complete repaint of the structure and a brand new set of steps.

Graham
Graham Maxtone
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Andrea » Mon Dec 7, 2015 9:36 pm

Has anyone mentioned Havenstreet on The Isle of Wight? I think it even boasts virtually the same track layout as before preservation.
Andrea
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Andrea » Mon Dec 7, 2015 9:39 pm

Another one from abroad, Simpelveld in Holland on the ZSLM, this line closed as recently as 1992, box is original and so is the frame.
Andrea
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby davidwoodcock » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:21 pm

Andrea wrote:Has anyone mentioned Havenstreet on The Isle of Wight? I think it even boasts virtually the same track layout as before preservation.

Immediately before preservation Havenstreet possessed only a simple passing loop with up and down lines either side of an island platform, there had though been an earlier siding on the down side. The layout is inevitably much more complex now and the knee frame has been extended (by 3 levers?). Given the ease of replacing components in a standard SR (ex-LSWR) knee frame, I wonder how much of the original frame still exists, particularly the locking which was probably 40 years old at closure.

The box forms an integral part of the SR station building which was incidentally constructed about 6 inches too low as a result of confusion between rail and ground level on the plans - a fact that caused some problems when the S&T equipment was installed and which led to the dismissal of the civil engineer responsible. It was manned by two regular signalmen-porters, Len (known as The Chin) and Terry, and I spent many a happy hour chatting to them before the line closed - can it really be half-a-century ago? They ran the whole station between them and the station was a regular winner of the island's best kept station seat.
davidwoodcock
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Previous

Return to Signalling - heritage railways