THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Princes Risborough

Signalling on heritage railways

Princes Risborough

Unread postby Mike Stone » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:02 pm

http://www.chinnorrailway.co.uk/article ... h-landmark
;
came across this while investigating the appearance of a track access application for the Chinnor and Princes Risborough Railway.
;
the news item referring to the re-connection of the railway to NR refers to an interm lease of the box from NR.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Re: Princes Risborough

Unread postby Chris Osment » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:11 pm

I note the claim that PR is the "largest surviving GWR signal box" at 126 levers. Surely that accolade should go to Exeter West at 131 levers?
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
http://www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Richard Pike » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:32 pm

I have some dog charts for this box.
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby MRFS » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:57 pm

I suggest the words 'in situ' or 'original location' are missing.
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:32 am

Chris Osment wrote:I note the claim that PR is the "largest surviving GWR signal box" at 126 levers. Surely that accolade should go to Exeter West at 131 levers?

I'm not sure that's a fair way to judge size - I suspect architecturally Risborough North was probably significantly larger because it was built to accommodate a 126-lever frame at 5¼" centres whereas Exeter West was built to accommodate 118 levers at 4" centres. Risborough North is recorded as 79' in length, not sure about Exeter West's dimensions but I would not expect them to be near that. Both later had frame renewals.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:27 pm

John Hinson wrote:
Chris Osment wrote:I note the claim that PR is the "largest surviving GWR signal box" at 126 levers. Surely that accolade should go to Exeter West at 131 levers?

I'm not sure that's a fair way to judge size - I suspect architecturally Risborough North was probably significantly larger because it was built to accommodate a 126-lever frame at 5¼" centres whereas Exeter West was built to accommodate 118 levers at 4" centres. Risborough North is recorded as 79' in length, not sure about Exeter West's dimensions but I would not expect them to be near that. Both later had frame renewals.

John

Surely John that isn't quite right regarding Exeter West, I thought it was 118 levers at 5¼" centres which would explain why there is plenty of room for a 131 lever frame at 4" centres.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:10 pm

Fast Line Floyd wrote:Surely John that isn't quite right regarding Exeter West, I thought it was 118 levers at 5¼" centres which would explain why there is plenty of room for a 131 lever frame at 4" centres.

I'm pretty sure it was 4" centres. Remember it only opened in 1913. 5¼" frames were a bit old hat by then. We are only talking a difference of 23 levers to fit in, 12 or so at each end.

I don't know if the window sections are exactly the same size (but I doubt they differ greatly) but Exeter West has 7 against Risborough having 9. If you look at photographs there is really no contest.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Chris Osment » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:25 pm

The first frame in the 1913 'temporary' <g> Exeter West was indeed 4", being a 3-bar HT.

Curiously, none of the 'usual sources' seem to quote a size for the actual box structure......
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
http://www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby JRB » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:46 pm

Were 4" Double Twist frames usual?
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:11 pm

it will be interesting to see how they propose to control their part of the station - the slew carried out recently seems to be slightly counter productive putting their trains onto the NR Thame branch rather than independently into the station. The TAA promises a map but none of the links work - I've tried prodding the webmaster.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Return to Signalling - heritage railways