Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Westinghouse EP shunting signal.

Signalling on heritage railways

Westinghouse EP shunting signal.

Unread postby Pete2320 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:09 pm

I am going to start restoring a Westinghouse double arm electro-pneumatic shunting signal. Actually there is little apart from the main post casting but many parts are identical to those of the single arm variety of which I have a couple so can be copied. One part that I can not find enough details of is the post cap/finial. Does anyone have a picture of one of these (or indeed a spare one!)? I'm not sure how widely these signals were used, I can only recall seeing one at Bolton West but I'm sure they more widely used. The single armed variety could be seen at Southport and Salisbury in relatively recent times.

Pete
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Re: Westinghouse EP shunting signal.

Unread postby scarpa » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:38 pm

If it helps there is a picture page15 in G Pryer excellent book Southern Signals of a pneumatic disc signal.
scarpa
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Westinghouse EP shunting signal.

Unread postby Pete2320 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:37 am

scarpa wrote:If it helps there is a picture page15 in G Pryer excellent book Southern Signals of a pneumatic disc signal.

Unfortuneatley not as this is the single arm version, in this case with a disc face. These had a round section post whereas the double arm type had an oval section. However I have to some extent answered my own question as I have found a picture in Raynar Wilsons' "Power Railway Signalling", plate 416 IIRC. However this gives the impression that the pinacle may have been square in plan or is it just a quirk of the lighting? So more pictures (or parts!) still welcome.
As an aside, there seem to be several of the single arm versions around whereas I think the bits I've got may be the last surviving double armed one.

Pete
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Return to Signalling - heritage railways