Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Stevens Frame Help

Signalling on heritage railways

Stevens Frame Help

Unread postby Ben.A.98 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:03 pm

Hi all,

Trying to size up a new project for our railway and have a couple of simple questions that we don't know the answer to.

We have a Stevens Glasgow Pattern Frame which is 42 levers. For the project we have in mind we don't need that many, can the frame be re-made down to the correct number for our intentions?

My other question is what structural framework needs to be in place inside the box to support the frame?

Thanks in advance,

Ben A
Ben.A.98
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Stevens Frame Help

Unread postby Martin Shaw » Tue Nov 1, 2016 10:23 am

Is it an old or new pattern? If new it is relatively easy to shorten, old less so. Our example sits on a 12" square timber which could easily be replicated by a couple of RSJ's.
Regards
Martin
Martin Shaw
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Ben.A.98 » Tue Nov 1, 2016 6:15 pm

Hi Martin,

I'm not sure how to tell the difference between old and new, so I took a few photos today. This is the link;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100103772 ... 6006658215

We thought that we would have a go at assembling some of it today, but I think we are missing some of the rods that run between the uprights.

Does anyone have an photos/diagrams of what an assembled frame looks like under the floor?

Thanks

Ben A
Ben.A.98
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Wed Nov 2, 2016 3:01 pm

Indeed it is the rods that run between the uprights above the floor that will be the most awkward to shorten if you intend to continue to use the original nuts as getting the rod turned down and then having the thread cut into it will be challenging and then the easy bit cutting the locking tray castings.

I don't know but I suspect that the lever bearings arm made the same way as the London frames and are individual to each lever which somewhat helps matters.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Martin Shaw » Wed Nov 2, 2016 4:36 pm

Ben
It is a new pattern frame. The soleplates come in units of 8 levers, which will determine the size of frame available, which makes your original size of 42 levers a bit odd. As Graham has pointed out the long rod is perhaps a hurdle, but when all said and done a steel rod with a Whitworth thread either end shouldn't deter you. Is it possible you could post a photo of the quadrants, do you know where the frame originated from?
Regards
Martin
Martin Shaw
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Ben.A.98 » Wed Nov 2, 2016 5:18 pm

Hi,

Our sole plates come in different sizes which are shown in one of the photos where they are lined up.

As for the long rod I'm sure we'll be able to find someone up here who will be able to manufacture one for us. We're also missing the main pivot bar that runs through the bottom.

I've added some more photos to the link above which has the quadrants in them, I'll go and get some better ones tomorrow.

The frames came from Montrose South and Usan.

Thanks,

Ben
Ben.A.98
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Wed Nov 2, 2016 6:24 pm

Ben.A.98 wrote:Hi,

We're also missing the main pivot bar that runs through the bottom.

That is what I meant by the lever bearings, I believe these are individual to each lever (about 8 inches long and a diameter which matches the pivot whole in the levers possibly with a short section of a smaller diameter so that they don't slip in the bottom casting) and therefore if you have them that shouldn't be a problem as far as shortening the frame is concerned but if you haven't got them then you will need some steel stock and a lathe to make some.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Alistair Larter » Wed Nov 2, 2016 7:05 pm

What length are you reducing it to? Looks like in the photo you have one of the bar's to go through the quadrants
Alistair Larter
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Ben.A.98 » Wed Nov 2, 2016 7:21 pm

We're looking to bring it down to about 24-28 once we fully agree upon the signalling plan (if anyone is able to have a look for a second opinion it would be much appreciated).

The bars we have we think came from the box at Usan which was only 16 levers so unfortunately just a bit too small for us.

Missed your last post Graham, sorry, I'll have to go for another look in the container to see if I can find these bits, (I never knew they were called lever bearings, this project will be quite a learning experience for us) its a bit of a treasure trove and I often tend to find new things every time I go in.
Ben.A.98
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby JRB » Wed Nov 2, 2016 8:38 pm

Do include enough spares/spaces for those developments which you never expected.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Ben.A.98 » Wed Nov 2, 2016 8:57 pm

Haha, yes we have considered potential development, and are planning to leave 4-6 spare for the future. :D
Ben.A.98
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Richard Pike » Thu Nov 3, 2016 10:12 am

I have a 41 lever Stevens (1881) frame shortened to 16 but luckily I had included an odd half width quadrant and a retained a bit extra on the clamp bars. Later on I decided to add an extra lever and there was enough on the clamp bars, with the removal of the odd half sized quadrant, to fit a normal one. Down below I took out one double lever bearing bar and replaced it with one covering three levers. The additional lever and quadrant was added as an 'overhang' to the left hand end of the frame. My frame doesn't have the long bed castings but has smaller castings supporting two levers on shouldered bearing bars with a spacer.

The clamp bars were rather brutally shorted at the recovery stage. Luckily I had a family member with a lathe big enough to screw cut new threads on the cut ends. The locking tray is one of Leyton's finest, fabricated from short sections of wrought iron riveted to a wrought iron plate. Anything that goes in there is bespoke to it's position in the tray as per Leyton's standard arrangement..
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Signal-sighter » Thu Nov 3, 2016 1:56 pm

I have some photos showing the underside of various Stevens Scottish pattern frames but I'll need to look them out for you over the weekend. Good to see the Montrose South and Usan frames being reused, I have many happy memories of those two boxes.
Signal-sighter
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Ben.A.98 » Thu Nov 3, 2016 3:03 pm

Had another quick look in the container today and found some round bars about 5 inch long, that sat in the sole plates and fitted the bottom of the levers and the uprights, are these the lever bearings that have been talked about previously? Photos added to Flickr.

As I'm still new to this can we define a few terms;
Clamp Bars - The bars that runs between the uprights that the quadrants sit on?

Signal-Sighter - Any photos you have will be of a lot of help to us, many thanks.
Ben.A.98
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Thu Nov 3, 2016 3:37 pm

Ben.A.98 wrote:Had another quick look in the container today and found some round bars about 5 inch long, that sat in the sole plates and fitted the bottom of the levers and the uprights, are these the lever bearings that have been talked about previously? Photos added to Flickr.

Yep
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Next

Return to Signalling - heritage railways