Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Maintenance of Competence

Signalling on heritage railways

Maintenance of Competence

Unread postby Jumble Lane » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:53 am

Several heritage railways require their volunteer signalmen to carry out a minimum number of turns each year in order to maintain their competence. I'd be interested to know what these are for the various railways, and how the required number has been derived. Thanks!

JL
Jumble Lane
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Maintenance of Competence

Unread postby Richard Lemon » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:26 pm

A simple question, but the answer is not!

This is for each railway to decide by risk assessment (which must be documented) and the outcome - process - must be defined as part of the SMS (Safety Management System) as required by ROGS. This applies to all "Safety Critical" tasks - so Driver, Fireman, Guard etc., must also have specified number of turns. For a signalman, it could be two turns in each box twice a year, or six turns in one box. And, work in each box must be assessed on an ongoing basis. Then there is the thought of the task being very different at a Gala to a one train service in November! For drivers, it may apply to different classes of locomotive.

Heritage Railway Association (HRA) Guidance Notes may help.

I hope that this is of some use to you!

Richard
Richard Lemon
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Jumble Lane » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:14 pm

Thank you Richard.

You have confirmed broadly what I thought from my reading of ROGS and supporting documentation. I have seen some of the HRA Guidance documentation, and while this is in line with what you have written, it does not mention turns per se.

I was hoping that colleagues in the heritage sector might comment on their particular railway's policy.
Jumble Lane
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Richard Lemon » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:25 am

Good point re HRA Guidance - I will bear this in mind if I am asked to revise it!!!!

As to other lines, I have seen no consistent practice - all differ!
Richard Lemon
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to Signalling - heritage railways