Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Ramsbottom SB lever colours

Signalling on heritage railways

Ramsbottom SB lever colours

Unread postby Signal-sighter » Sun Nov 5, 2017 8:49 pm

Sorry to resurrect a zombie thread but this question isn't worth starting a new one. I enjoyed a brief visit to Ramsbottom signalbox this afternoon, and very interesting it was too, but neglected to ask the signalman what function the green and brown painted lever (on the low numbered end of the frame) undertakes. I didn't take any photos so can't refer to the diagram or give a lever number. Can anyone help?

Admin note - as it doesn't relate to the original question, I think it is better separated . . . and have done so for you JH
Signal-sighter
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Ramsbottom SB lever colours

Unread postby Stevoid » Mon Nov 6, 2017 1:52 pm

Signal-sighter wrote:Sorry to resurrect a zombie thread but this question isn't worth starting a new one. I enjoyed a brief visit to Ramsbottom signalbox this afternoon, and very interesting it was too, but neglected to ask the signalman what function the green and brown painted lever (on the low numbered end of the frame) undertakes. I didn't take any photos so can't refer to the diagram or give a lever number. Can anyone help?

It is used to turn off the part-time traffic lights that protect the crossing, when the box is closed. It's done off a lever so the crossing can be proved open to the road before this happens.
Stevoid
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Mon Nov 6, 2017 4:41 pm

Any idea as to why the lever is green and brown?
Brown makes sense as it is used for releases and for various level crossing functions, but green is usually used for gongs and acceptance levers (and was used for distant signals before they became yellow)
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Signal-sighter » Mon Nov 6, 2017 7:24 pm

Interesting and it makes perfect sense. I noted that the road traffic lights appeared to be worked from a switch on the block shelf, though I didn't see the gates swung while I was in the box. Where I come from (Scotland) green usually denotes a lever worked for interlocking purposes, typically a removed FPL, and I'd wrongly suspected at the time this might be something similar. I was interested also to see that the traffic lights are of the conventional type rather than traditional level crossing 'wig wags'. There seems to be precious little information online about the - very complex and impressive - signalling on the ELR so thanks for the answer!
Signal-sighter
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Stevoid » Tue Nov 7, 2017 12:54 pm

Signal-sighter wrote:Interesting and it makes perfect sense. I noted that the road traffic lights appeared to be worked from a switch on the block shelf, though I didn't see the gates swung while I was in the box. Where I come from (Scotland) green usually denotes a lever worked for interlocking purposes, typically a removed FPL, and I'd wrongly suspected at the time this might be something similar. I was interested also to see that the traffic lights are of the conventional type rather than traditional level crossing 'wig wags'. There seems to be precious little information online about the - very complex and impressive - signalling on the ELR so thanks for the answer!

Glad to help. I don't think they're off a switch, though they are indicated on the shelf (red and yellow aspects only); I *think* they're operated from the movement of the gate stops lever, which is then check-locked till the traffic lights are proved red, though I'm not quite certain of that. There is a switch on the block shelf to turn the rail signal electric lamps on, which may be what you have seen.

As to why they aren't wig-wags: not sure but I suspect it has to do with the look of the thing - the wig-wags wouldn't look right but something was needed to control the traffic in order to make the crossing practical on such a busy road.
Stevoid
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Tue Nov 7, 2017 4:01 pm

Stevoid wrote:I don't think they're off a switch, though they are indicated on the shelf (red and yellow aspects only); I *think* they're operated from the movement of the gate stops lever, which is then check-locked till the traffic lights are proved red, though I'm not quite certain of that.

I think that's how the ones at Mitre Bridge Junction worked, although its a long time ago to remember with absolute certainty. The lever there was originally green with large red spots but that was later changed to something more conventional.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby John Webb » Tue Nov 7, 2017 4:21 pm

Interior view herewith in 2008 (click on photo to go to larger original):
Signal Box Interior

© Copyright robert wade and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

However, there is another photo by the same photographer on the same day:
Preserved Locomotive crossing Bridge Street

© Copyright robert wade and licensed for reuse under thisCreative Commons Licence.
in which the lights are visible but not working. So it seems they were only brought into use sometime between 2008 and 2010; there are several photos from 2010 showing them working. (No one seems to have taken pictures in 2009 that would show the crossing and lights!)

There is a short chapter on signalling in Martin Bairstow's book "The East Lancashire Railway"; this has a diagram of Ramsbottom dating from 1992 - but the book doesn't include any updates since then as it was published in 1993. Lever 1 was the Gate Lock, 2 was the Road Stops, and 3 and 4 the wicket gates.
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby NCC1701 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:52 pm

Page 236 of "Signal Boxes On Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Lines: North & West Of Manchester, Part 2" by Chris Littleworth, published by the
L&Y Railway Society details Ramsbottom Signal Box and includes a track diagram plus the layout of the lever frame.
Levers 1-4 are all brown: 1 - gate lock; 2 - gate stops & traffic light control; 3 & 4 - wickets. Lever 6 is the brown & green one referred to earlier & is described as the traffic light switch lever.
An excellent book, as is its part one companion.
NCC1701
Trainee
Trainee

Return to Signalling - heritage railways