Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Old North Road Station Site

Signalling on heritage railways

Old North Road Station Site

Unread postby KEVIN SMITH » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:31 pm

Yesterday I was driving back from the model railway exhibition just outside Huntingdon and decided to stop off at the closed Old north road station on the former Oxford -Cambridge line . I knew the station was largely intact but was surprised at how much work has been done at the site since I last time I stopped there about ten years ago ! The signal box has been nicely restored not sure if it looked like that when it was open. Has it got a lever frame now ? what is inside it ? Also some track has been laid about 40 metres or so with a crossover and another siding or two plus a semaphore signal . There is a BR brake van and a MK1 coach in the sidings as well. Can anyone tell me if there is anything special happening here or is it a wealthy landowner just playing trains .
KEVIN SMITH
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Old North Road Station Site

Unread postby Pete2320 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:47 pm

Strangely, I met the owner of this site at Porthmadog! It is purely a private project. The Signalbox contains most of the original frame but the levers are replacements. Not sure I'd categorise the owner as a "Wealthy Landowner" as such!

Pete
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:46 pm

I'm pretty sure this location has been mentioned on this site before. Unfortunately a search on "Old North Road" doesn 't work because all three words are too common to search on.
I have sent the station owner a link to this page so that he can reply if he wishes.
Mike Hodgson
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby John Webb » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:12 pm

There's quite a bit on this station at http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/o/old_north_road/index.shtml including pictures from 2013.
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Return to Signalling - heritage railways