Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Hi there (Flanders & Swann)

For railway modellers to discuss and share ideas on realistic signalling arrangements.

Re: Hi there (Flanders & Swann)

Unread postby AN106 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:07 pm

I was heavily involved with North Staffs resignalling a few years ago, when Mow Cop box was abolished. I managed to keep the neg for the panel - I can get it scanned in if anyone wants a copy. PM me and let me know. Also if anyone knows who owns the box now, I'll be glad to pass it on to them. I'm glad to see it survived.
AN106
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Chris L » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:27 pm

I note that John has just put his drawing of Cockermouth Station diagram on the main site at http://signalbox.org/diagrams.php?id=887 .

It always looks to me like a superb place to model (perhaps somebody has?). For everybody interested there's a good set of photos of the station, box and infrastructure, taken around the time of closure, at http://cumbrianrailways.zenfolio.com/p125857534 .

Chris.
Chris L
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:08 pm

Chris L wrote:It always looks to me like a superb place to model (perhaps somebody has?). For everybody interested there's a good set of photos of the station, box and infrastructure, taken around the time of closure, at http://cumbrianrailways.zenfolio.com/p125857534 .

For yet more modelling interest you could step back further in time to when it had its own engine shed, turntable and carriage shed.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby John Hinson » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:26 pm

AN106 wrote:I was heavily involved with North Staffs resignalling a few years ago, when Mow Cop box was abolished. I managed to keep the neg for the panel - I can get it scanned in if anyone wants a copy. PM me and let me know. Also if anyone knows who owns the box now, I'll be glad to pass it on to them. I'm glad to see it survived.

I found a 1963 plan showing the platforms which is probably more relevant to the initial question, but that is not to say that your plan would not be of interest to many. I understand the panel replaced the frame in 1981 so it saw good service through to 2003.

I'm happy to host your scan on the site if you wish - just drop me a PM if you don't have my email address.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby John Hinson » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:27 am

I have added signalling diagrams at http://www.signalbox.org/diagrams.php for as many as I can in the listing on the first page, and have cross-referenced them from there.

I have also made a few corrections to the listing - I believe Tidewell is actually part of Millers Dale & Tideswell, Openshaw should be Gorton for Openshaw etc etc. This leaves a few locations still without plans - about 50% of these did not have any related signalling or track layout (or, if they did, it was long gone by the time of the song).

If anybody can come up with any further layouts or links thereto, please post here and I will update the list on the first page.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby JRB » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:51 am

Remember that there are 3 versions to consider and that they by no means fully agree:
(1) The actual official station names (even these can include variants);
(2) The names as printed in the Beeching report;
(3) The names as sung by F & S.
In this context I would favour (3) but that is a subjective judgment.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby lamplighter » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:12 pm

The Disused Stations website has a good entry for Chorlton-cum-Hardy.
lamplighter
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby Mackay » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:49 pm

Neither Selby nor Goole closed (neither did St Erth or St Ives); what Michael Flanders actually sang was "No-one departs, no-one arrives, from Selby to Goole, from St. Erth to St. Ives" (my underlining).
The branch from Selby to Goole did indeed close (to passengers on 15 June 1964) and the intermediate stations of Barlow, Drax Hales and Airmyn & Rawcliffe closed. Not sure whether you will be able to find much on these; there's nothing on the disused stations website.
Neil Mackay
Mackay
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby JRB » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:01 pm

Selby, Goole, St.Erth & St.Ives were all intended to close in the report, regardless of froms & tos.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Blair Robinson » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:11 pm

andym wrote:I think Goole and Selby were in the list to be axed but got a reprieve.

The quotation form the song is
"No one departs, no one arrives
From Selby to Goole, From St Erth to St Ives"

This implies the closure of the lines between these stations. Selby to Goole was closed (only to be resurrected as a line to a tip, and as part of Drax Power Station. Happily St Erth to St Ives was reprieved and is still with us, even though slightly shorter than he original line.

Blair
Blair Robinson
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Mackay » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:57 pm

andym wrote:
I think Goole and Selby were in the list to be axed but got a reprieve.

Checked the original Beeching report on the Railways Archive website: http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docsummary.php?docID=13
Whereas on p103 under "Passenger Services to be Withdrawn" it states "Selby-Goole", the list of "Passenger Stations and Halts to Closed" (Section 3, starts on p109) includes the intermediate stations on the branch (Barlow, Drax, Airmyn) but does not include Goole nor Selby. They were not proposed for closure.
Neil Mackay
Mackay
Branch line box
Branch line box

Previous

Return to Signalling - model railways/simulators