Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

'Rule 72(a)'

Comments and questions about the forum

'Rule 72(a)'

Unread postby StevieG » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:59 pm

( Not sure whether this should be here or in "Signalling amusement")

Just noticed on the its main Homepage that in this whole website, Rule 72(a) has been infringed a staggering 2,390,983 times !

Question : Is management supervision of this 'signal box' insufficiently effective?
Or are us infringers just expertly skilled in avoiding being found out? :lol:
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Re: 'Rule 72(a)'

Unread postby JRB » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:54 am

Obviously lost track of when they renumbered the rules. Now what number is it now?
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby John Hinson » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:04 am

StevieG wrote:Just noticed on the its main Homepage that in this whole website, Rule 72(a) has been infringed a staggering 2,390,983 times !

Question : Is management supervision of this 'signal box' insufficiently effective?
Or are us infringers just expertly skilled in avoiding being found out? :lol:

When set up in 1998 it was only intended to be a bit of fun. Its not really a true reflection of visitors ("unique visitors" in web site terms) as it clocks up every time the page is visited which one person may do several times during a visit to the site.

For a realistic figure, the records currently show an average of 698.9 unique visitors to the site per day.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Is Line Clear » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:36 am

John Hinson wrote:
StevieG wrote:Just noticed on the its main Homepage that in this whole website, Rule 72(a) has been infringed a staggering 2,390,983 times !

Or are us infringers just expertly skilled in avoiding being found out?

When set up in 1998 it was only intended to be a bit of fun. Its not really a true reflection of visitors ("unique visitors" in web site terms) as it clocks up every time the page is visited which one person may do several times during a visit to the site.

For a realistic figure, the records currently show an average of 698.9 unique visitors to the site per day.

John

Good job it is an average number for unique visitors, or I would have worried about the ' .9 ' :roll:
7-5-5
Is Line Clear
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:55 am

I have yet to find somebody who is both unique and average though . . .

John

PS - failed to say the average is for the current month, and not since time began.
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Signal-sighter » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:18 pm

JRB wrote:Obviously lost track of when they renumbered the rules. Now what number is it now?

It's no longer in the Rule Book but is clause 1.1.3 of the "National Operating Instructions" published by Network Rail following the recent butchery of the Rule Book by RSSB.
Signal-sighter
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:23 pm

John Hinson wrote:For a realistic figure, the records currently show an average of 698.9 unique visitors to the site per day.

John

That's quite encouraging really. Just as I would expect less interest in railway preservation from the younger generation who do not remember ubiquitous BR steam and the scale of the pre-Beeching network, I would have expected a much lower figure, especially as there are so few places still working AB. I thought the total number of people seriously interested in signalling as a subject would be of the same order as whatever portion of the SRS membership is in some way active in the subject - ie after excluding whatever portion of any such society merely pay their subs, but don't have time. Obviously of course there are also people who are interested but for whatever reason don't belong to the SRS. And of those interested, I would not expect the majority to visit a relevant site daily. So to get an average of almost 700 unique visitors daily is quite impressive,
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby StevieG » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:33 pm

Thanks very much John, Is Line Clear, JRB, Signal-sighter and Mike.
I wasn't expecting this degree of interest in and resulting info. from, what I thought would be just a humorous observational quip.
And I agree, the more 'real' figures seem quite impressive !
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Return to About this forum