Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Fylde boxes

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Fylde boxes

Unread postby Chris L » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:15 pm

I have yet to receive confirmation, but unless something extraordinary happened the last five mechanical signal boxes on the Fylde - Salwick [No.2], Kirkham [North Junction], Poulton [No.3], Carleton Crossing and Blackpool North No.2 - passed into history in the early hours of this morning.

The lines are now closed for a complete makeover but when they reopen next year the new signalling will be controlled from Blackpool Workstation in Manchester ROC.

Thus ends an extraordinary heritage of mechanical signalling on the lines which served Blackpool. Now, there are just two L&Y Horwich-fabricated boxes fitted with L&Y Horwich-built frames left; Ashton Moss North Junction and Hebden Bridge, both of which are scheduled to close next year.

RIP.

Chris.
Chris L
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Fylde boxes

Unread postby Andrew G » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:56 am

According to another forum I visit the last train signalled was 5L77 in the early hours of Saturday morning.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/S ... 1/advanced

This album might be of interest:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/llangolle ... 2918486026
Andrew G
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:53 pm

Initially Northern advertised a shuttle from Preston to Kirkham as well as Blackpool South service when the line reopened, but in the event they aren't running.
Was work at Kirkham not completed?
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Mike Stone » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:15 pm

I had a run down the Blackpool South branch today - I cannot understand why signals been provided at Lytham, with a working distant, and Blackpool South for up trains, but in the down direction the last signal is BL5813 protecting Kirkham West Junction, so clearly two trains cannot be on the branch together.
The one at Blackpool is on the disused part of the platform and cannot be seen by the guard if they are at the rear of the train, but does not have an off indicator.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby KEVIN SMITH » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:57 am

I do not know this area at all but there is a level crossing at Moss side which was ABCL this has very likely been upgraded and may well need a stop signal (s) in the up direction this might push a working distant out to Lytham. As for Blackpool south starter the method of working the line might have changed from OTW to TCB in which case a start signal back may well be required. But all of this is a guess on my part.
KEVIN SMITH
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mark Lamb » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:00 pm

The only way that I can think of to achieve two trains on the branch, is if a coupled set works to Blackpool South and leaves one behind. When the first set clears Lytham, the second can then proceed. Perhaps this is the plan?

Mark
Mark Lamb
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:24 pm

I think it might be much simpler than that. Isn't there a current standard that mandates a signal at point of turnback on single lines? I know Henley-on-Thames has one.
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Mike Stone » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:57 pm

No, Moss Side is still ABCL.
;
According to press reports the Kirkham-Blackpool North blockade is over-running by three weeks, but I did notice the signals at Blackpool North were lit, if not working.
Table A in the SA has been amended but doesn't show p1/2 at Blackpool with any track - was there any suggestion they wouldn't open until later?
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Mike Stone » Fri Apr 6, 2018 12:00 pm

S&TEngineer wrote:I think it might be much simpler than that. Isn't there a current standard that mandates a signal at point of turnback on single lines? I know Henley-on-Thames has one.

;
There are no turnback trains at Lytham, in the past there have been St. Annes turnbacks, and during Open Golf tournaments they turn back at Ansdell & Fairhaven.
It appeared they might be going to split the first two departures but an ECS from Newton Heath has now appeared for the second train.
Last edited by Mike Stone on Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby KEVIN SMITH » Sat Apr 7, 2018 10:01 am

I find all of this very strange . You say there are no signals at all in the down direction on the branch proper is this correct ? Because looking at the signal diagram there was a signal 36 just before Tarnbrick LC in fact the only the only stop signal in the down direction. If this has not been renewed like for like as part of the resignalling then could there be a limit of shunt signal of some sort in its place ? I am not sure if this would be possible on a single line but it would at least explain the purpose of this new up stop signal at Lytham.
KEVIN SMITH
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Sat Apr 7, 2018 11:07 am

Tarnbrick LC appears to have been abolished - it's in the index to the SA but not table A, I suspect it may well be under the new Kirkham West Junction.
;
I presume there was a yellow peril - my usual source hasn't come up with one.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Return to Signalling - current