Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Down-time

Essential information about the use of this forum and other news

Down-time

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:33 am

Yesterday the forum was off-line for several hours with some overload issues on the server.

The people that manage the server have kindly offered to transfer the database to a new, more efficient system which should make such problems far less likely.

I would also like to be able to make some other changes and improvements to how the forum works behind the scenes. These two operations may take a little while so please be patient during any further necessary down-time in forthcoming days.

The end result should look and operate just the same to your eyes, but more efficiently.

Thanks,

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Down-time

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:43 pm

Today I have livened up the site again - two stages of what I anticipate to be a four-stage process have been completed:
  1. The database on which the forum records are kept has been migrated to a more reliable database server
  2. The site itself has been moved to a new location on the server, essential for stage 3
    - - - still to be done are:
  3. Addition of SSL security (to make it a web site with padlock symbol), and
  4. A major upgrade to a new version of the forum software

No.4 above was not anticipated and does not appeal to me in the slightest, but it is a necessary evil. The developers have already discontinued any support on issues with the current version, although they will provide assistance with upgrades for a six month period if needed. After that point I would be 100% on my own with any problems and I don't think we should take that risk.

Unfortunately, contradicting an earlier comment, the interface will be changed. We have no choice on this as the various colour-schemes and layouts we have are not compatible with the new version. We are forced, at least initially, to revert to the "vanilla" design called Prosilver.

At some point before I start that upgrade you will find your chosen scheme will switch automatically to the Prosilver style and that is what will be there after the upgrade. I'm not sure whther there will be significant alterations to how it all works - hopefully not.

Please be patient during further outages while we get this all running. At the moment I am going to let things rest for a few days to make sure all is well with what we have changed with stages 1 & 2.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Forum information