Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

West of Scotland Signalling Centre

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

West of Scotland Signalling Centre

Unread postby Alan Norris » Sun Nov 9, 2008 3:22 pm

Alan Norris
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby SDL » Sun Nov 9, 2008 4:28 pm

'The Central' will never be the same without the forest of position light shunting signals, many of which are two-tier, and the miniature yellow aspects up on the gantries. At least the EP points will survive.

The renumbered platforms and new line designations will take some getting used to as well (it's goodbye to the familiar line names "W", "X", "Y" and "Z" over the Clyde bridge).
SDL, Signalling Design Lad - closing a signal box near you with the mere stroke of a green pencil.
SDL
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Keith » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:41 am

SDL wrote:The renumbered platforms and new line designations will take some getting used to as well (it's goodbye to the familiar line names "W", "X", "Y" and "Z" over the Clyde bridge).

Sacrilege!!!
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Unread postby Andrew G » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:06 pm

I assume that if everything is going to plan then Glasgow Central Signalling Centre is now or shortly to be Historical so I've added some pics to my Fotopic Site in the Central Scotland Gallery.

http://andrew426.fotopic.net/

I've also posted under Historical in case anybody wishes to comment on the demise of this box rather than the plans for the new Signalling Centre.

http://www.signalbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9298#9298

Does anybody know the timeframe for future phases? I assume these will include Paisley PSB and Cathcart, the latter being the last remaining OCS panel in Scotland - not that there were ever very many in the first place?
Andrew G
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:25 pm

SDL wrote:The renumbered platforms and new line designations will take some getting used to as well (it's goodbye to the familiar line names "W", "X", "Y" and "Z" over the Clyde bridge).

Perhaps the idea of Glaswegians talking about "Whiskey Line" was not considered politically correct.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Keith » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:23 pm

signalman wrote:Perhaps the idea of Glaswegians talking about "Whiskey Line" was not considered politically correct.

As we Glaswegians seem to be everywhere, you'd better set about renaming West Hampstead, Wembley, and numerous other boxes... :roll:
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Unread postby Alan Norris » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:32 pm

signalman wrote:

Perhaps the idea of Glaswegians talking about "Whiskey Line" was not considered politically correct.

John

"Whisky", if you please :D "Whiskey" is an inferior drink :wink:

Anyway, driving through Glasgow yesterday it was strange to see unlit signals on some of the lines out of Central.
Alan Norris
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Keith » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:27 am

Alan Norris wrote:"Whisky", if you please :D "Whiskey" is an inferior drink :wink:

Insomnia causes drowsiness during the day - otherwise I probably would have made that comment!
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Unread postby Pete2320 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:47 am

But sadly the only version of the phonetic alphabet I can lay my hands on at the moment (not a railway one) has W whiskey.
Pete.
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Keith » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:31 am

Pete2320 wrote:But sadly the only version of the phonetic alphabet I can lay my hands on at the moment (not a railway one) has W whiskey.

You can find the proper spelling in the Rule Book on page 58 of Module G1, available at http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Rule_Book/Ru ... ss%203.pdf
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Unread postby John Hinson » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:15 am

Keith wrote:You can find the proper spelling in the Rule Book on page 58 of Module G1, available at http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Rule_Book/Ru ... ss%203.pdf

But as it is used for transcribing the alphabet vocally, who cares how it is smelt, I mean spelt?

J
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby John Webb » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:40 am

The 'Phonetic Alphabet' is one derived many years ago by the NATO forces for communication between people of different languages. It has become widespread in the emergency services and elsewhere over the years. I've always seen 'Whisky' spelt that way and never with the 'e'!
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Keith » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:52 pm

signalman wrote:But as it is used for transcribing the alphabet vocally, who cares how it is smelt, I mean spelt?

It matters when you get to the point of needing to say "Whisky - hotel - India - sierra - kilo - ? - yankee". :lol:

...or, of course, when you've had too much of it and you need to be given the sierra alpha charlie kilo. :o
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Unread postby Aitken » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:10 pm

Keith wrote:
signalman wrote:But as it is used for transcribing the alphabet vocally, who cares how it is smelt, I mean spelt?

It matters when you get to the point of needing to say "Whisky - hotel - India - sierra - kilo - ? - yankee". :lol:

...or, of course, when you've had too much of it and you need to be given the sierra alpha charlie kilo. :o

Reminds me of giving a T2 authority number to a COSS the other year.

Me: "That's lima echo one two three three zulu."

Him: "Lima echo one two three three zero"

Me: "One two three three zulu, not zero"

Him: "Zero?"

Me: "Zulu"

Him: "Can you spell that please?"

Me: "Er.. Zulu Unifo... oh never mind."
Aitken
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Alan Norris » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:42 pm

Whoops! Doesn't look like all has gone smoothly: