Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Signal box diagram ID - Help Required

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Signal box diagram ID - Help Required

Unread postby Lincolnshire_Poacher » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:31 pm

This morning a friend of mine passed on a signal box diagram to me which he believed to be from Medge Hall. The positioning of the gong and ground frame release levers has thrown me off somewhat, and seem to indicate that the frame may have originally only been 12 levers, with a 2-lever extension being added at the high end at a later date. Can anybody confirm if this numbering sequence is correct, or if it is even the diagram from Medge Hall at all?
The diagram can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gMDyW9fsLD8KP2BDwIw3XuTENPRfAsIf
Lincolnshire_Poacher
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Signal box diagram ID - Help Required

Unread postby BHornsey » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:14 pm

Pretty sure it's not Medge Hall.
I don't think there was ever a platform there, and the line is trapped between the canal and river for a long way.
I believe there was a siding on the down side where there is a little space next to the canal but there's no space on the up side for a siding, nor any sign of a bridge carrying such a siding over the river (or drain or dyke, whatever you want to call it!)
Also, the box is on the wrong side of the line in relation to the crossover.
BHornsey
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Lincolnshire_Poacher » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:58 pm

Thanks for the response Brian. I'd like to shed a little light on the reason it was believed this diagram was from Medge Hall. Originally there was a station at this location, Medge Hall Halt, which was squeezed very tightly into the available space. The siding shown opposite the box on this diagram followed the alignment of the canal, which curved sharply away from the main line, and was in fact the original alignment of the South Yorkshire Railway. There is in fact a bridge on the Up side which would have allowed a siding to cross the river at some point. Whilst the crossover was in later years on the same side of the level crossing as the box, it is believed that this was moved here in 1972 with the Stainforth - Keadby Canal Junction re-signalling, prior to that it was on the opposite side of the level crossing. Overall the layout on the diagram seems to be correct for Medge Hall, it's more the details of the lever numbering for the plan that we're not too sure on.
Lincolnshire_Poacher
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby BHornsey » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:59 am

OK, so the drawing has Scunthorpe to the left and Doncaster to the right? Points 5 is where I expected the siding to be. I did work Medge a couple of times about 15 years ago so the memory is a bit hazy.

I took a quick look on Google mapping to refresh my memory and it shows so little room on the up side for a platform where the diagram shows. The base of the signalbox is almost in the water and, even allowing for a 'halt', there's little room for anything. However, I just took a look through my old pre-WW2 'Handbook of stations' and I'm surprised to see Medge Hall listed as being a passenger & goods station with facilities for livestock as well.

Also listed in the handbook at Medge Hall is "Moss Litter Co's Siding." Now that I look on satellite image, I can see what you mean about the bridge where the GF siding crossed the water so perhaps this may be that siding. A quick Google shows Medge had a peat railway that I didn't know about so this is starting to look promising.

However, I don't know if a 14 lever frame was squeezed into Medge. It is currently seven levers and there's room at the left where more might have been but double the frame size?
BHornsey
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Danny252 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:18 pm

Historic OS maps show the layout matching the diagram - even down to the positioning of the signals (marked "SP"): http://maps.nls.uk//view/100948994
Danny252
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Return to Signalling - historical