Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Ashington Control

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Ashington Control

Unread postby nicktamarensis » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:45 pm

Hello,
Does anyone have any info on the bespoke control office at Ashington Colliery which contained not just the weighbridge arrangements but also the signalling frame installed on the first floor which controlled engine movements within the colliery?
From the little I have been able to find out the building was a relatively recent addition (late 1930's?) which was situated to the east of the engine shed which itself only seemed to appear on OS maps at the same time as the control building. The facility lasted in use until the closure of the colliery in 1988.
Any info on the type of equipment, number of levers etc. would be much appreciated.
Nick.
nicktamarensis
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Ashington Control

Unread postby Mad Mac » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:40 pm

We had some discussion on this recently: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8130
Mad Mac
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby nicktamarensis » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:46 am

Thanks very much for the direction. A fascinating subject.
I had contacted Bob Darvill of the IRS and local expert Colin Mountford but they were unable to give me any supplementary info on the building so I'm much appreciative for the various items explored during the thread.
However, I'm still not any nearer as to when the building was constructed. Contemporary OS maps do not show it until the 1950's (or the engine shed come to that) but then such fine detail may have been missed or omitted by cartographers.
Cheers,
Nick.
nicktamarensis
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby davidwoodcock » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:13 pm

OS mapping surveys were carried out reasonably regularly until the Great War and then there was a long hiatus during which only significant changes were surveyed, detailed surveying only recommencing in the early 1950s. Some, but by no means all, 25" OS maps were republished during this period, quite a number in the late 1930s for example, but the information they incorporate generally reflects the situation as it was at the time of the last survey pre-1914 rather than at the time of publication - although misleadingly they may show, say, a 1930s by-pass road.

It is unfortunate that the survey date information wasn't incorporated into the scanned data for the Old Maps website and a friend who works for EH and is very interested in old maps as a source of historical data tells me that in many cases the survey date information has actually been lost.
davidwoodcock
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby nicktamarensis » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:58 pm

Thanks very much for the OS elucidation. This would explain the apparent omissions
Nick
nicktamarensis
Crossing box
Crossing box

Return to Signalling - historical