Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Signalbox closures 2016

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Signalbox closures 2016

Unread postby DaveHarries » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:52 pm

I write this on 10th December 2015 and, as we approach the end of another year I thought I would get the 2016 box closures thread started with this piece of information.

A yellow notice has now been issued for Phases 2B and 2C of the Swindon resignalling which will not only reduce the area of control covered by Swindon PSB but see off the PSB altogether. Dates given on the document, the cover of which is on the Facebook page of the Swindon Panel Society as a scanned image, give the schedule as follows:

0500hrs, Monday 25th January 2016
Phase 2B - Between Rushey Platt Junction and Box Tunnel, Thingley Junction and Melksham. Also Wootton Bassett Junction and Hullavington (excl.)

0500hrs, Monday 22nd February 2016
Phase 2C - Between Hullavington (incl.) and Alderton Tunnel

And that, quite simply, will be that as far as the panel's working life is concerned.

HTIOI,
Dave
Last Photo'd: June 2015
Yorkshire (Batley, Cattal, Hammerton, Kirkham, Kiveton Pk, Knaresborough, Poppleton), Teeside (Billingham), Northumberland (Bardon, Haydon Bridge, Hexham, Prudhoe, Wylam) & Lincolnshire (Roxton Sidings)

Next trip: TBC
DaveHarries
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Signalbox closures 2016

Unread postby Danny252 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:50 am

Intriguing that Hullavington-Alderton Tunnel survives for an extra month, given that it's such a small area! Presumably it does make logical sense in one grand scheme or another (going onto different workstations at the TVSC?).
Danny252
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:52 am

.......and the panel preservation has been mentioned in the Yellow Signalling Notice as well:
http://www.swindonpanel.org.uk/2015/12/ ... l-closure/
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Peter Gibbons » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:01 pm

I would think that Rochester, Gillingham (Kent), Rainham (Kent) and Sittingbourne are very likely to be closed around Easter 2016. The old station at Rochester is closed as of the end of today and new station opens tomorrow, but one of the platforms (Down Loop) cannot be commissioned because Rochester Panel Signal Box stands in the way.
Peter G
Peter Gibbons
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby E D Mann » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:43 am

Yes, those four boxes are due to go next Easter. The Medway Valley part of the scheme has been deferred until CP7 (at the earliest).

A VIP special ran from the new Rochester station to St Pancras International on Friday night; the first public train is due to depart for Victoria at 1721 today. The next three months is a slightly awkward interim period, with the partially-completed new station controlled by the existing signalling, but with less flexibility.
E D Mann
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby collexions » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:58 am

Boxes in South Liverpool (all boxes: Allerton Jn. - Weaver Jn.) have now been prioritised ahead of Lime Street & Edge Hill (stage 2) for recontrol to MROC. Estimated dates Dec 16' (stage 1) & Q2/Q3 17' (stage 2). The Lime Street MROC WS will absorb the initial Huyton Roby WS into it.
collexions
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby LowdhamGPR » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:50 am

collexions wrote:Boxes in South Liverpool (all boxes: Allerton Jn. - Weaver Jn.) have now been prioritised ahead of Lime Street & Edge Hill (stage 2) for recontrol to MROC. Estimated dates Dec 16' (stage 1) & Q2/Q3 17' (stage 2). The Lime Street MROC WS will absorb the initial Huyton Roby WS into it.

That's most upsetting and I was totally unaware of that :(

I start my new role as Runcorn relief on Jan 1st and that's five of my 18 boxes that won't be there very long.

No doubt I'll find out more when I report for duty on 4th Jan.
LowdhamGPR
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby collexions » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:20 pm

Sorry to be bearer of that news. I've learned to take such information with some caution. I'll post any more firm dates that may come my way.
collexions
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby JRB » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:58 pm

Mentioned in another thread, but should be in this one. Banbury North & South close on July 23rd (unless they change their minds). South is to be demolished forthwith to make room for another track. There are local moves for saving North box (not very hopeful). South box is locally listed, but only the national list counts for much.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby rower40 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:40 am

Danny252 wrote:Intriguing that Hullavington-Alderton Tunnel survives for an extra month, given that it's such a small area! Presumably it does make logical sense in one grand scheme or another (going onto different workstations at the TVSC?).

The Rumour Mill(TM) told me that the TOC(s), having been messed about so much by the non-delivery of the previously-booked possessions for resignalling/recontrolling Swindon to TVSC, were no longer amenable to an extended possession long enough to do the necessary through-testing in one go. So phase 2B leaves the Badminton line unchanged because of the time needed to test all the axle-counters, points and signals.

It means a costly TD arrangement until phase 2C installed - because trains on the Main (between Thingley and Bathampton) have to be passed from TVSC to Bristol PSB direct, whereas trains on the Badminton line have to be passed from TVSC to Swindon PSB to Bristol PSB. So Bristol PSB needs two TD links for the duration of phase 2B, where it has only 1 before (to Swindon PSB) and only 1 after (to TVSC).

Phase 2B also sees the commissioning of ARS for the entire workstation. (Uffington to Thingley, also Kemble line.) Watch this space for news of wrong routeing, wrong regulation, delays and disruptions...
rower40
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Sun Oct 2, 2016 10:20 pm

collexions wrote:Boxes in South Liverpool (all boxes: Allerton Jn. - Weaver Jn.) have now been prioritised ahead of Lime Street & Edge Hill (stage 2) for recontrol to MROC. Estimated dates Dec 16' (stage 1) & Q2/Q3 17' (stage 2). The Lime Street MROC WS will absorb the initial Huyton Roby WS into it.

;
Noticed today a compound, containing many portacabins, had been constructed near Speke Jct box - no obvious sign of any obvious signalling work though.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby LowdhamGPR » Mon Oct 3, 2016 6:10 am

Indeed the compound is now being established and is for the resignalling works. It looks like it's most definitely happening.

The latest info I have is as follows...

Allerton Junction & Speke Junction : Sep 2017
Ditton, Runcorn & Halton Junction : April 2018
Edge Hill and Lime Street : August 2018

Blackpool Branch in it's entirety : March 2018

Ashton Moss North : Oct 2017
LowdhamGPR
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Mon Oct 3, 2016 9:09 am

I think I read somewhere that some changes were necessary at Liverpool South Parkway to allow trains to be turned back during the Lime Street works.
;
While perusing the engineering access statement to check the dates for Blackpool (which confusingly shows the rail replacement service starting a week before the line shuts) I noticed a two week blockade of Frodsham-Halton in November 2017 for signalling work.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby LowdhamGPR » Tue Oct 4, 2016 1:48 pm

If the two week blockade started after 08.30 on a Saturday and finished at 0730 on a Saturday 2 weeks later then it would affect a grand total of one train !! An ECS.

That's possibly to do the signalling for the reinstatement of the Halton Curve. No doubt a facing crossover has to go in at Halton ? I believe Frodsham Junction is getting a new panel and the frame will be no more :(
LowdhamGPR
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Tue Oct 4, 2016 2:05 pm

When I first saw the item I wondered if it was to be a full Halton-Mickle Trafford resignalling block, as the reference was to rail replacement services, but realised it was the curve from the mileage.
;
It seems slightly odd that according to the list in section C that was planned for considerably later than the aboilition of Chester and Warrington PSBS.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Return to Signalling - current