Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Bransty

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Bransty

Unread postby Mike Stone » Thu May 26, 2016 12:40 pm

How is the single line section at Parton worked - I noted a tail lamp camera for up trains.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Re: Bransty

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu May 26, 2016 3:03 pm

The single line is entirely within Parton's signalling area. A tail lamp camera would be of advantage allowing TOOS to be given on the double-line section between the north end of Avalanche Alley and Workington Main No2 some time before a train passes the box.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby John White » Thu May 26, 2016 5:06 pm

The control of Parton single line was transferred to Bransty on 31/5/2010, and Parton was abolished that day.
The tail lamp camera at Parton allows Bransty to give T-o-S to Workington with the train in approximately the same position as when Parton existed.
John White.
John White
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu May 26, 2016 5:19 pm

Whoops - how time slips little things in. Same difference, though.

I supose nineteen-seventy-something is a bit of a while ago . . .

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Mike Stone » Thu May 26, 2016 7:46 pm

But does Bransty have a direction lever / switch?
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu May 26, 2016 8:25 pm

No. Why on earth would you need one?

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby StevieG » Thu May 26, 2016 9:31 pm

Mike Stone wrote:But does Bransty have a direction lever / switch?
John Hinson wrote:No. Why on earth would you need one?

John
I think Mike's question just might these days not be as strange as you think John.

Although it may be a very different type of signalling control environment from Bransty, I've a sneaky feeling that about ten years ago I may have had sight of a planned screen display for an SCC or similar, somewhere, which was to have, for either a traditional Single Line section or a long-ish Bi-di line section in a multi-track area, which would be entirely under one signaller's control (or at very least, controlled by two signallers in the same 'Box'), a direction 'switch' or equivalent for that section.

Although as such opposing signal routes could be directly locked against each other, I'm unclear as to why such a control would be needed. [ An additional feature that is technically desirable or necessary? ; - Between different Computer Based Interlockings in the same SCC or to reduce the amount of data in a CBI(s) that is(are) near its(their) capacity limit perhaps ?
Or something to which a signaller could refer at any time to confirm which direction a section is set for ; And/or so that the making of a decision to change a section's direction is believed to be psychologically reinforced by being effected through a 'master' control ? ]

I'm not saying I like the idea though. (Wish I could be 100% certain that I saw the above, and if so, where it was to be.)
Last edited by StevieG on Fri May 27, 2016 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby John Hinson » Fri May 27, 2016 3:07 am

StevieG wrote:I'm unclear as to why such a control would be needed.

So am I. Hence my question.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Fri May 27, 2016 12:13 pm

Assuming a mechanical box if there was a lack of space in the locking trays the use of a direction lever could make the amount of locking required to inhibit movements in one direction whilst permitting them in the other would be much reduced.

A number of big mechanical frames used the FPL's as direction levers for this very purpose.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Danny252 » Fri May 27, 2016 12:42 pm

A quick perusal of Google's results for "Bransty Signal Box" answers most questions:

Signals 19 and 22 list nothing other than the relevant points (20 and 21): https://www.flickr.com/photos/robdaniel ... 224113060/

The relevant section of the diagram: https://www.flickr.com/photos/robdaniel ... 224113060/

And Bransty most definitely cannot be accused of having a lack of space in the locking trays: https://www.flickr.com/photos/robdaniel ... 224113060/
Danny252
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Fri May 27, 2016 3:59 pm

Danny252 wrote:A quick perusal of Google's results for "Bransty Signal Box" answers most questions:

Signals 19 and 22 list nothing other than the relevant points (20 and 21): https://www.flickr.com/photos/robdaniel ... 224113060/

The relevant section of the diagram: https://www.flickr.com/photos/robdaniel ... 224113060/

And Bransty most definitely cannot be accused of having a lack of space in the locking trays: https://www.flickr.com/photos/robdaniel ... 224113060/

No indeed but when the changes were made to Bransty and Parton abolished NR did not have many (if any) locking fitters skilled in LNW tumbler frames which are a little more involved to alter than tappet frames.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Fri May 27, 2016 4:03 pm

Excuse me if I am being too simplistic but as far as I can see from that diagram (thanks, Danny), all that is needed in terms of locking is that both signals leading to the signal line should be electrically locked by T2 and both of the overlap TCs on those signals. And, of course, any other track circuits in the section up to the next respective stop signal and its overlap. Why should any extra mechanical locking of any sort be needed?

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby John White » Fri May 27, 2016 4:33 pm

I was the Tester in Charge of Parton scheme in 2010, and would like to inform FLF, that, at the time of commissioning, LNW North did have skilled Locking Fitters for LNW Tumbler Frames.

Four Cam and Sleeve levers were serviced, new Mechanical Locking was constructed, together with four new Electric locks and Drives.

The Mech Locking added was 19 by 20; 19 Locks 21; 22 by 21; and 22 Locks 20.
John Hinsons comments regarding the T.C. controls are exactly right.

Which brings us a long way from a tail lamp camera, on line one.

Best Wishes,
John White
Once upon a time a Signal Engineer..
John White.
John White
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Fri May 27, 2016 9:52 pm

John White wrote:I was the Tester in Charge of Parton scheme in 2010, and would like to inform FLF, that, at the time of commissioning, LNW North did have skilled Locking Fitters for LNW Tumbler Frames.

Four Cam and Sleeve levers were serviced, new Mechanical Locking was constructed, together with four new Electric locks and Drives.

The Mech Locking added was 19 by 20; 19 Locks 21; 22 by 21; and 22 Locks 20.
John Hinsons comments regarding the T.C. controls are exactly right.

Which brings us a long way from a tail lamp camera, on line one.

Best Wishes,
John White
Once upon a time a Signal Engineer..

John,

The North Western must be lucky as there certainly were no tumbler frame skilled fitters down south by this time.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby MRFS » Sat May 28, 2016 12:51 pm

What do you mean by 'Cam and Sleeve' - it's not something I can immediately picture with a tumbler frame, unless you're describing the conditional 'dart'?
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Next

Return to Signalling - current