Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Tokenless block to Cwmbargoed

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Tokenless block to Cwmbargoed

Unread postby KEVIN SMITH » Wed Jun 8, 2016 4:35 pm

When the line to Rhymney was resignalled a while back the Cwmbargoed branch changed to tokenless block working. Can anyone explain how it works in so far as this line is concerned? For example, is there a train crew operated instrument one end and a virtual one in South Wales SCC? Can there be more then one train on the branch at a time and if so are there any signals on the line?
KEVIN SMITH
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Tokenless block to Cwmbargoed

Unread postby dscroggins » Wed Jun 8, 2016 10:39 pm

Is it really Tokenless Block or is just a block system that doesn't involve tokens? OTW (without staff) sounds more likely?
Pull off and stand back.
dscroggins
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby HighlandRailwayman » Thu Jun 9, 2016 7:15 am

As I designed all the circuitry for this, I can assure you it is pure tokenless block, based on a simplified version of BRS 10 - reed is replaced by Westplex. I even managed to get a 3 position needle indicator installed in the locs as an aid to technicians fault finding. The circuitry is set for auto accept at the CWB end, so that providing the block is normal, SWCC can send a train to CWB at any time. There is stop board at CWB protecting the sidings. Coming down the Valley, the driver gets SWCC to turn his block to accept and holds the offer button down till the block goes to train accepted. The signal will then automatically clear. At YM, the driver has to press a train arrived complete plunger before the exit signal will clear. He only has to physically walk back and confirm tail lamp if he has stopped or had brake pipe pressure fluctuations en route. I have a write up of how the circuitry works so PM me if anyone is interested.
HighlandRailwayman
Crossing box
Crossing box

Location: Testing a lever frame anywhere between Birmingham and Scotland

Unread postby dscroggins » Thu Jun 9, 2016 7:30 pm

I am impressed!

I am surprised we're installing Tokenless new, especially with no-one seeing the tail lamp and no section-clear reinforcement (presumably?)
Pull off and stand back.
dscroggins
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Return to Signalling - current