Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Worcester Signalling Work Summer 2016

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Worcester Signalling Work Summer 2016

Unread postby Philb » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:22 pm

There is currently some resignalling going on at Worcester. I am told by staff that components of the mechanical signalling are being replaced to extend its life to about 2040! As a result Worcester is scheduled to be the last bastion of Semaphore Signalling. At present there are no working points south of Worcester Shrub Hill (i.e. Wylds Lane Junction not in use) as the interlocking in the signal box is being renewed. The signalling is temporarily 'crossed out' south of Shrub Hill except for SH13 (Up starter) and SH83 (down outer home). I think SH82 was also inoperative when I was up there the other evening. SH7 (end of up platform) was crossed out and had a temporary fixed distant board (for SH13). South of Shrub Hill I understand SH13 is being replaced by a red/yellow colour light. I wonder if it will have an indication for entering the up platform and bay directly? To the North, I understand TJ6 and SH2 are also being replaced by a red/yellow colour light. (This has been discussed elsewhere on this forum.) There has also been much replacement of signal wires and point rodding. This great if you need to get your bearings: http://www.roscalen.com/signals/Worcest ... tm#Diagram

At present several trains are not running as a result or are diverted, e.g. a Handsworth to Newport scrap train ran yesterday but was diverted via Oxford.
Philb
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Worcester Signalling Work Summer 2016

Unread postby Mike Stone » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:45 pm

serems to have gone seriously awry this morning with LM trains unable to run via Shrub Hill according to national rail
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby DaveHarries » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:31 pm

Glad they seem not to be doing NJ9 & NJ10 (the bracket signals at Norton Junction) yet but this has been discussed elsewhere on the forum. I am hoping for a photo of those soon if the weather permits me to get one.

Dave
Last Photo'd: June 2015
Yorkshire (Batley, Cattal, Hammerton, Kirkham, Kiveton Pk, Knaresborough, Poppleton), Teeside (Billingham), Northumberland (Bardon, Haydon Bridge, Hexham, Prudhoe, Wylam) & Lincolnshire (Roxton Sidings)

Next trip: TBC
DaveHarries
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:18 pm

I was unable to spot any signalling changes at the north end of the station.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Danny252 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:20 pm

I am told the main objective of the works was simply locking renewal, with no changes to signalling.
Danny252
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby HighlandRailwayman » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:29 am

that is correct. The renewal of SH2/3 and combining with TJ6 (as discussed elsewhere) was meant to happen in this block, but for one reason or another that I wont discuss on an open forum, it didn't. It is also unlikely that it will happen in the Tunnel junction block in August (also a locking overhaul and recovery of redundant locking)
The work, via bagging out signals and clipping points allowed GWR to run a normal service and DBC to run their round oak trains. London Midland could not access SH or the depot from the SH end so caused them a bit of agro, but they still were able to run a service. It would have been a lot easier to overhaul the frame if SH had been shut for the 10 days.
Unfortunately because there is no external change, a lot of people do not realise the scale of the work that took place. The frame was significantly worn, to the extent it would have been booked out of service in a couple of years if this overhaul didn't happen.
Last edited by HighlandRailwayman on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HighlandRailwayman
Crossing box
Crossing box

Location: Testing a lever frame anywhere between Birmingham and Scotland

Unread postby Mike Stone » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:41 am

Gone wrong again this weekend according to LM journey check.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby HighlandRailwayman » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:57 pm

that is a LM training issue and nothing to do with the actual installation/commissioning of the new advanced starter at MW-GWR are running normally! Although there has been a bit of confusion on the approach locking of the new colour light. MW5 has all got a bit political shall we say.
HighlandRailwayman
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:57 pm

Seems somebody needs to get their story straight, press reports carry both versions, but from LM journey check says
;
Over the last ten days Network Rail has been upgrading the signalling on the route. Network Rail have advised us that they have encountered difficulties over the last ten days and this will result in alterations to some services. We are working with Network Rail to ensure a full service is in place as soon possible.
;
Judging from RTT the loop is unusable, fGW just cross over.

;
http://www.ledburyreporter.co.uk/news/1 ... s_weekend/
;
has a back view of the new centre pivot signal.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby HighlandRailwayman » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:27 am

as I said it is all a bit political but the infrastructure as installed works as intended and all facilities are operational and able to be used....
HighlandRailwayman
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Tulyar15 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:23 am

Those of you with access to Facebook can see some pics of the recent work at Malvern Wells here:-

https://www.facebook.com/richard.putley ... 733&type=3
Tulyar15
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Return to Signalling - current