Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

SDA (Greenhill, Grangemouth JN, Carmuirs East, Larbert N)

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

SDA (Greenhill, Grangemouth JN, Carmuirs East, Larbert N)

Unread postby towersje » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi folks, I've heard on Scot-Rail forum that the above signal boxes are due to close over the Christmas stoppage. Will be a bit of a shame but I suppose it's been in the works for some time. Time for your photos if you wish them!

Anyone know about the plans for Stirling Middle/North once SDA gets fully under steam?

And possibly requiring a separate thread but Perth SC is the other 'big' signalling project that probably needs looked at sometime soon. Does anyone know if there's a plan for this?

Many thanks in advance!
towersje
Trainee
Trainee

Re: SDA (Greenhill, Grangemouth JN, Carmuirs East, Larbert N

Unread postby Mad Mac » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:12 pm

Greenhill etc. - correct. The "old" Greenhill Upper box is long gone, having been replaced by a panel in the old technicians' quarters in 1990. The "original" Grangemouth Junction is also long gone, replaced by a couple of Portakabins, although I believe that the top one will go due to its proximity to the OHL.

Stirling Middle/North/Dunblane - Will ultimately go, but a couple of years off yet.

Perth - They've been talking about doing something with it for the past 25 years at least! Nothing "concrete" that I've heard of. I believe the intent is for Inverness to ultimately take over the whole HML.
Mad Mac
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:16 pm

The boxes mentioned are due to close this Christmas. Nothing yet on Perth that has been published but it probably is in the pipeline. The final dates for Stirling also are not yet public knowledge.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Signal-sighter » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:14 pm

Lots of talk about Perth but nothing advanced so far. Further north Pitlochry closes and becomes a workstation in Stanley(!) and Aviemore migrates to Inverness Highland Workstation in 2018/19.
Signal-sighter
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Craig » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:38 am

Will be sad to see Greenhill go as that's where I started on the railway as a bookmarker in 1992, that's progress though, the boxes I subsequently worked in the Falkirk area are all gone already!
Craig
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mad Mac » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:56 pm

While we’re in the area, is Plean Junction box still there?
Mad Mac
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Signal-sighter » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:21 pm

Plean closed in 2008 though I'm struggling to recall the exact date.
Signal-sighter
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby DaveHarries » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:12 pm

Signal-sighter wrote:Lots of talk about Perth but nothing advanced so far. Further north Pitlochry closes and becomes a workstation in Stanley(!) and Aviemore migrates to Inverness Highland Workstation in 2018/19.

Pitlochry closing this Xmas or at the same time as Aviemore? Pity to see these boxes going.

Dave
Last Photo'd: June 2015
Yorkshire (Batley, Cattal, Hammerton, Kirkham, Kiveton Pk, Knaresborough, Poppleton), Teeside (Billingham), Northumberland (Bardon, Haydon Bridge, Hexham, Prudhoe, Wylam) & Lincolnshire (Roxton Sidings)

Next trip: TBC
DaveHarries
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby melv03 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:34 am

DaveHarries wrote:
Signal-sighter wrote:Lots of talk about Perth but nothing advanced so far. Further north Pitlochry closes and becomes a workstation in Stanley(!) and Aviemore migrates to Inverness Highland Workstation in 2018/19.

Pitlochry closing this Xmas or at the same time as Aviemore? Pity to see these boxes going.

Dave

I don't think Pitlochry's closing this Christmas Dave as Network Rail have recently been advertising for signallers there! However, it seems to be earmarked for closure next year or soon after, probably the same time as Aviemore therefore?

Mel
melv03
Crossing box
Crossing box

Return to Signalling - current