Railway signalling discussion

Lever number/description plates

Technical talk on signalling matters

Lever number/description plates

Unread postby Chris Osment » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:56 pm

The plates on levers bearing the number, description etc......

I know that the GWR/WR called these 'lever leads'. I've read that Westinghouse called them 'tablets'. I believe at least one railway company or contractor called them 'badges'. The L&SWR apparently had 'pull lists', but I believe that to be for the separate smaller plates which appeared at the top of some levers, not the main plate at the bottom. But what official names were used please by the various railways/suppliers?

Then, of course, there were the back boards/ label boards used above/behind the frames.........

I'm trying to write a few notes on the subject and would like to be (reasonably) accurate ! :-)
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
User avatar
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box
Posts: 2309
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:32 am
Location: Somewhere in the West Country

Re: Lever number/description plates

Unread postby Chris L » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:58 pm


According to the "L&YR Standard Signal Fittings" catalogue, the cast plates on the levers which bore the numbers and the leads were called "Number Plates"; the board behind the frame which carried the description plates was the "Nameboard" and the cast description plates themselves were "Name Plates".

Highly imaginative descriptions, but that's the L&YR for you!

Chris L
Branch line box
Branch line box
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:02 am

Return to S&T Department

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests