Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Ashington NCB

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Re: Ashington NCB

Unread postby limitofshunt » Fri Dec 8, 2017 6:42 am

Here's the SRS diagram:

limitofshunt
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Chris Osment » Fri Dec 8, 2017 1:17 pm

For the uninitiated please, what is a 'van kip'? It looks just like a trap road, but how was the point worked?
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
http://www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Fri Dec 8, 2017 2:01 pm

It's a siding where you put brake vans for a rest between duties.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Mackay » Fri Dec 8, 2017 3:45 pm

The late John Talbot's material was all carefully preserved and his collection went to various "subject experts" eg for the NER, LT Railways, Ashington, etc. I can't say who the Ashington person was/is (I simply don't know) but could find out if anyone has a genuine interest - send me a PM. I have some copies of John's photos, and see that there's a nice interior view showing part of the diagram lettered "Ashington Coal Co. - Weigh Cabin Diagram of Signals" along with a 20 lever frame (17 working, 3 spare). The caption to the image reads "Ashington Colliery Cabin Interior 1925". There is a 1962 view inside showing the levers added later (21, 22, 23), along with some rather sad views called "Remains of Colliery Frame" where John has highlighted the lettering on the castings with chalk. "WB&SSCo Ltd" and "No.9531".
Neil
Mackay
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Chris Osment » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:46 pm

John Hinson wrote:It's a siding where you put brake vans for a rest between duties.

John

I wondered about that, but it seemed too obvious :-)
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
http://www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby RDNA » Fri Dec 8, 2017 10:30 pm

Chris Osment wrote:
John Hinson wrote:It's a siding where you put brake vans for a rest between duties.

John

I wondered about that, but it seemed too obvious :-)

I suggest that the 'Van Kip' was laid with an artificial gradient so that Brake Vans could gravitate onto the back of departing trains.

I found another use of the noun 'Kip' on a visit to the Bowes Railway, also in the North East, earlier this year.

It was used to describe the 'Hump' that ascending wagons ran onto at the top of Springwell Bank, a gravity worked incline.

Some photos that I've put on flickr -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/90214143@ ... ed-public/

- may help illustrate this.

Dave
RDNA
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby limitofshunt » Sat Dec 9, 2017 12:57 pm

Mackay wrote:I have some copies of John's photos, and see that there's a nice interior view showing part of the diagram lettered "Ashington Coal Co. - Weigh Cabin Diagram of Signals" along with a 20 lever frame (17 working, 3 spare). The caption to the image reads "Ashington Colliery Cabin Interior 1925". There is a 1962 view inside showing the levers added later (21, 22, 23), along with some rather sad views called "Remains of Colliery Frame" where John has highlighted the lettering on the castings with chalk. "WB&SSCo Ltd" and "No.9531".
Neil

Does the interior shot perchance have a couple of people in it? Those sound like the photos I've seen - possibly online at one point but now no longer available.
limitofshunt
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mackay » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:16 am

The 1925 view has one smartly-dressed younger man to the right wearing a waistcoat and a striped shirt, and holding the lever cloth. The 1962 shot has one older man, this time wearing dungarees and a dark shirt, about to restore lever 14. These are both B/W. I seem to remember a later colour shot, probably by John, showing a couple of men in NCB orange overalls, but it's not in the selection I have copies of.
Neil
Mackay
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby limitofshunt » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:14 pm

Thanks - at least I hadn't dreamt those pictures up!!
limitofshunt
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Pete2320 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:54 pm

I have seen pictures on the net showing both interior views and the frame dumped outside. Sound very similar! Trouble is I can't find them again and they might be on different sites.

Pete
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Previous

Return to Signalling - historical